Chapter 40

{Leo's P.O.V} (The next day)
Marlie looked up at me, saying something quickly that was muffled above the noise of a few cars driving below us. I leaned towards her, trying to hear.

"I love you." She said again, her voice confident and her eyes shining.

I smiled down at her, mentally examining her face. Her eyes, her nose, her lips, everything was so happy, genuine. I smiled, pulling her into a hug, and patting her head. My heart felt like it would pound out of my chest from emotions. A sense of relief spread through my body, having her in my arms.

I pulled away from the hug slowly, looking down at her. But she wasn't her anymore. She was Amanda. My heart dropped.

"I love you Leo." Amanda smiled up at me, going in for another hug.

I woke up, a few pillows on the ground and my body full of sweat. I breathed heavily, sitting up and wiping my forehead. That dream felt so real. I ran my hand through my hair, looking at the space in front of me.

I couldn't get Marlie out of my mind for the past few days. Anything I did, anything I saw, I thought of her.

I looked over to my left and I saw the empty space next to me. I remembered what Johnny said only a few days ago
"Do you even know why Marlie's back is all messed up? Do you even want to know?"

"It was because of you. You're the one who ruined her back."

I groaned in frustration. Rubbing my temples a bit harshly. What did he mean?

I stood up slowly, making my way towards the door when something shiny caught my eye.

I paused, turning back towards the object.

It was subtly showing under Amanda's jacket. I moved her jacket aside and dropping it on the floor, looking down at the object with wide eyes. It was a ring with Marlies name embroidered.

I paused, the ring in my palm.

What was this? And why did it look so familiar?

There was a sudden knock at my door. I looked in back of me, quickly stuffing the ring in my pocket.

I sighed, realizing it was the main door, not my bedroom door.

I took the ring out of my pocket and I examined the ring again, feeling a connection towards it.

The knocks on the door got louder and more repetitive.

I walked towards the door, before I felt my foot slip on Amanda's jacket, making me fall to the side and hit my head hard, the ring falling onto the floor. Everything went black.
-
{Marlie's P.O.V}
I can't go to Leo's wedding now. There's no way I can show my face to him after what happened in that cafeteria. There's no way.

I zipped up my suit case, sighing at the place in front of me.

I've decided to leave one day earlier to Rome. It's not like I'm going to Leo's wedding anyway, so I really didn't see a point of staying. My new life was in Rome, not here.

I smiled slightly to myself at the idea of taking pictures at such an amazing place. It's really a dream come true. Suddenly there was a knock at my door. I looked over curiously. I'm not expecting anyone...

I walked over towards the door, opening it to reveal Eugene. He had a suit case next to him and a big smile on his face.

"Ready?" He asked me enthusiastically.