Chapter 38

I looked across the table towards Leo who was sipping his drink mindlessly. He didn't know it hurt me to see him. It made me so much more sad to see that he didn't care. He was going to marry Amanda. And that's almost all I could think about while looking at him.

"What do you want to eat?" He asked, stopping my thoughts. My eyes focused and he was looking at me patiently.

"I lost my appetite." I mumbled, smiling weakly.

Leo eyed me carefully, before his eyes traveled towards his menu.

Leo slowly closed the menu, once the waiter came. Leo ordered a meal for him and ordered one for me. I looked up, feeling surprised. The waiter left as soon as they came.

"Do you not like that meal?" He asked shyly.

I stared at him dumbly. Back when Leo and I used to date, he took me here a few times and I had ordered that exact meal...

"No. It's fine. Thank you." I mumbled.

I felt awkward here. Like I need to get out. I looked around, playing with my hands awkwardly. And looking anywhere but Leo.

"I heard you're leaving." Leo suddenly said. My eyes suddenly landed on him.

I nodded slowly. How did he know?

I didn't know it, but it hurt him to say that out loud. Deep down inside, he knew he'd miss me. But I didn't know that.

"Where are you going?" He asked, taking a sip from his drink.

"Rome, I think. It's a really good program to branch out. You know?" I shrugged, scanning his face for anything. He was blank faced for sure.

"That's cool. You know, that you're following your dreams." He smiled weakly over at me. I nodded back weakly.

"You too. I heard you might get another role soon. Congrats." I smiled. I heard it from Jacky when she came over, but I barely listened. Amanda had told her the details anyway.

Leo nervously laughed, rubbing the back of his neck. "You think so? I don't know if I'm getting the role for sure. I guess we'll see."

I raised my eyebrows," Of course you'll get it. You're a great actor." I smiled.

Leo's face lit up at those words," Thank you, Marlie."

I smiled back, feeling genuinely happy. Even if Leo and I didn't end up together, I'd still want him to pursue his dreams and be happy. As long as Leo was happy, then everything was okay.

After a little more chatting, our food came.

"Thank you." Leo nodded to the waiter as they left. I grabbed my fork and began eating.

"Isn't it strange that I feel like I've been here before?" Leo laughed suddenly. I looked up at him, food in my mouth.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I've been getting a lot of Deja vu lately. It's weird." He rubbed the back of his head, making a confused face.

I awkwardly ate, not really knowing what to say to that. What was I supposed to say?