Chapter 49 - But I Love Her

"Mr.Sykes, you may want to sit back down." She said.

"Why?" I asked, confused.

"I'm afraid it's bad news."

Nathan's P.O.V~

 "Bad news? What do you mean 'bad news'? Where's Amelia?" I asked, my heart rate increased greatly.

What the fuck is she talking about?

"Please, Mr.Sykes, I think you'll find it best if you sit." Dr.Bowers told me again.

I slowly sat back down in the my seat. I was becoming more worried by the second, Amelia was okay, right? She had to be. She just had to be. This wasn't a story. This was real life. Bad stuff only happens in movies and books.

I watched as Dr.Bowers pulled up a seat and sat adjacent from me. She reached her hand out and carefully grabbed my own, gently stroking her thumb over the back of my hand.

"Mr.Sykes..." She paused, "whilst in the operating theatre-"

"What? What happened?" I cut her off, my eyes beginning to fill with tears yet again. 

Why did I have a feeling I knew where this was going?

"Unfortunately, some women bleed too much after birth which can be caused by many things. This is called Postpartum Hemorrhage. Sadly, this affected Amelia. It was caused by trauma during the birth which tore tissue and vessels leading to significant postpartum bleeding. Once we took Amelia to the operating theatre we began immediate treatment but this was one of the worst cases of Postpartum hemorrhage that I've ever seen and was incredibly difficult for us to treat."

"What are you saying?" I asked, the tears now threatening to spill from my eyes.

"I'm saying Amelia lost a lot of blood, more than what the body can cope without. I'm very sorry to tell you, we lost Amelia in the operating room." Her voice was full of sympathy as she delivered the heart wrenching news.

"No no no..." I whispered. I looked to the floor.

"No, this can't be happening." I whispered as I continued to stare at my feet.

"Mr.Sykes I-" Dr.Bowers began but I interrupted.

"No! I shouted. "There must be some sort of mistake!" I jumped up from my seat, raking my hands through my hair and pulling it.

"Sadly, this is no mistake. I'm terribly sorry Mr.Sykes." Dr.Bowers said as she stood from her seat, placing her hand on my shoulder.

I don't know how to describe how I felt at that moment. It was like someone had ripped my heart out of my chest and threw it under a bus, let it get run over, then picked it back up, shredded it and burned the remains. I was vexed, bewildered, heart-sick, grief-stricken the list was endless.

"This must be a dream. I've got to be dreaming!" I laughed, despite nothing about the situation being even slightly funny.

I began to shake as tears spilled down my cheeks. My breath came out shakily as I tried to think straight. This just couldn't be happening. I began shaking violently as the tears came out much worse.

"But-but... I... She..." I was speechless. 

Dr.Bowers threw her arms around me as she pulled me into her embrace as an attempt to comfort me but it didn't work, but still, my arms made their way around her torso and hugged her tightly.

"But she was only 19." I sobbed into her shoulder. "She was so young. And what about Alexis? She's supposed to be her Mum. Alexis can't not have a Mum. I don't even have a picture of them together." I struggled to get my sentences out as they came in shaky breaths.