t w e n t y o ne

•  

on her way to the clinic, kihyun limited only to glance at her now and then. they remained silent the whole trip. soon felt both miserable and guilty since she had ruined the dinner with kihyun's parents and he seemed really disappointed about it.

she understood how upsetting this was for him and his family. but just as his father said, the health of the patients comes always first.

she sighed in relief when she spotted the clinic in the distance. kihyun parked across the street and turned off the engine.

"i just- i want you to know that i support you and i understand you care about your patients." his voice made her stop right when she was about to go out of the car. she turned to look at him with big eyes.

he seemed hurt and sad. "i get it." he said nodding.

"i just... i don't want you to get sick... again." his eyes seemed glassy and desperate. the words were like knives to soon. she knew perfectly what he was talking about.

"it happened long ago." she said staring at him.

"i know... but still – i don't- i don't want you to get hurt." his hand reached for her hair as he caressed it softly. "i wish i was important to you as your patients are." he muttered.

soon felt her chest hurting and as he withdrew his hand, she caught it in the air and held it with both of her hands. "you are." she said with reassuring eyes.

he smiled at her. a kind of sad smile and nodded. "go." he simply said leaning over and opening the door for her. "call me if you need anything, alright? i'll go back home."

"what about your parents?" she asked worried. kihyun shrugged.

"it's not like they're waiting for me anymore – he chuckled –i am tired anyways, i'll go back to sleep." soon nodded.

"kihyunnie... thank you." she said leaning towards him and placing a soft kiss on his cheek. he smiled at her and motioned for her to go inside the clinic.

soon rushed and closed the door, counting the steps before disappearing through the door. her fiancé waited until she was safe inside and with a heavy sigh, he turned on the engine and drove back to their house where a lonely night waited for him.

"where's patient chae?" she asked desperately at the lobby. the nurse behind the counter quickly typed his name and nodded.

" restricted emergency area, cubicle 12." soon quickly thanked her and rushed to the elevator as she pressed the 5th floor where that area was.

she remembered that was the area where important patients were located. patients who the clinic needed to keep an special eye on.

her eyes wandered around the cubicles and when she finally saw the number 12 she sighed in relief. she opened the door and stayed under the frame a few seconds, contemplating his silhouette resting peacefully on the bed.

she swallowed hard and took a step inside as she closed the sliding door behind her. the clicking on her heels were the only thing audible inside the cubicle along with the beeps of the machines plugged onto him.

soon reached for the metallic folder at the end of his bed and looked for the medical report.

patient lost consciousness provoked by low sugar and low pressure.

she took a look to his medical exams and it seemed his immune system was weak and now he was plugged into machines of people who were usually in a coma.