f i f t y t h r e e

•    

a psychopath.

the word was stuck on soon's mind. she couldn't help but wonder how she could miss that possibility.

the symptoms were clearly present on hyungwon and she had trusted dr. kang's previous diagnosis of DID. she took that data and worked based on it and at first, it all made sense, with the different identities and all.

but after realizing he had been faking this whole time, it made it more clear than he was actually a psychopath. especially with how easy he manipulated her and how he lied without remorse.

"don't you think dr. park?" she blinked twice as she noticed she had just spaced out.

changkyun stared at her with a confused expression. "are you even listening to me, dr. park?" he asked with widened eyes.

she cleared her throat once she realized she didn't listen to whatever thing changkyun said. "uh- sorry, i- she looked away.

"what were you saying?" she asked now, focusing on him.

"my parents? they... think i should go back home." he said shrugging, playing with the hem of his black sweater.

"really? how do you feel about it? do you think you're ready to go home?"

he glanced at her with tired eyes, biting inside his cheek. "i am not sure." he said.

soon stared at him. "why?"

"i don't know. they're saying i am just trying to get attention... but i am truly not. in fact, i just want them to leave me alone."

soon knew how difficult changkyun's situation was, especially for his family since he had such loving and supporting parents.

"don't you think they're kind of missing you? you are their only child."

"they don't care about me."

"they love you." she quickly said, looking at him with reassuring eyes. "your mother misses you so much and your father is worried about you."

he looked at her in silence, as if he was thinking about her words. "they never show it."

"maybe because you never give them the chance... you always pushed them away."

he looked at her in realization, as if he knew about this for the first time. and inside his mind, he reasoned and realized it might be true.

"why don't you go and spend your birthday with them? i can give you 3 days free and sign a permission, they want to take you to busan, to the beach, and i think it's a good a idea." soon said with a warm smile.

"the b-beach?" he said with sparkling eyes. "i've been asking them to take me to the beach since i was 6, they never took me."

"they work too much, they didn't have too much time changkyunnie." soon said with pressed lips. he looked down and sighed.

he knew his parents were busy people and in fact that's one of the things he hated about his little family, that's why he felt they almost never paid attention to him.

"so... will you agree?" she asked.

he took a long minute to ponder about it but finally nodded in agreement. "yes. i'll go with them."

the rest of the day was basically soon checking on other patients and making her rounds, catching up with all the stuff she missed for the last months.