Chapter 4 - Restless Eyes

She slowly made her way downstairs. She was nervous. There began her concern. She was never nervous before him. She was herself just as she was. She was never pretense. Varied thoughts were shot like bullets in her mind. Did she look okay? Did her face reflect her confusion? Was she okay?

The moment her eyes fell on him. Thoughts of him, about him, swam to the center stage in her mind. He looked so handsome. His fingers were hard now unlike the soft ones that drew patterns on her cheeks. Her cheeks were immediately responding at the thought by turning crimson. Everyone was sitting at the dining table. She finally clustered the courage to reach them. As soon as she was there, he cocked her head sideways his eyes immediately catching hers. She looked away her lips parted. She could feel him grin. 

At the table with six chairs around it, the only one empty was the one right opposite to the chair where he sat. He was sitting at the chair at the head of the table. One after the other answering the questions flocking him. She looked at the dining table. Mumma had probably cooked everything. 

"Before you begin your inquiry, Mrs. Shivaay Singh Oberoi. Let me tell you, that your mother and I both cooked together. "

Anika smiled. Pinky knew she was going to the courtroom zone. Pinky had arthritis and Anika did not like it when her mother in law worked in the kitchen for long hours. She was taken aback at the way she was addressed as though. It was always a Anika or Beta but today it was Mrs. Shivaay Singh Oberoi? Maybe it was just Pinky pulling Anika's leg which she did a lot. They fought a lot at petty things. But at the end of the day, the two loved each other. 

She moved around serving the food despite of being told to sit and that they could help themselves. 

"Okay, Anika you make him eat if you want, look how thin he has become. We can all help ourselves." Pinky remarked cheekily. 

"Mumma!" Anika stared at her. Her eyes slowly moved to him. His were already looking at her. She simply served the dish to him and moved to Pinky. She could feel his eyes on her. Trying not to focus on his attention, she focused at others.

Thankfully, he did all the talking about his surprise. How he had called and given the news on purpose. How he had suggested Pinky call over Anika's parents over for dinner and surprise Anika. Pinky did not sniff anything fishy at all. Pinky narrated to Anika how she and Neena (Anika's mother) were in the kitchen when Shivaay suddenly hugged her from behind. Anika smiled. The two women were so happy seeing him. Their eyes wouldn't stop shinning. 

As she took the next morsel, she looked up. He was staring right at her. She looked back at her plate immediately. Her feet shuffling slowly. She couldn't find it in herself to look back at him. His eyes were gazing at her with powerful intensity. She smiled as her dad told her about the recent developments at his workplace. She couldn't be more thankful to him for striking a conversation to divert her mind from the overwhelming fountain flowing endlessly in her soul. 

* * *

Shivaay sat in the living room revealing gifts for everyone. She walked in with the kheer bowls on the tray. Coincidentally Pinky had made his favorite kheer