Chapter 52 - Imperfectly Perfect

He held her hand gently as ever. Like he was about to propose. He made her sit on the couch and knelt before her. He couldn't find the words to explain what he felt. Just as always. But that feeling of being understood by someone more than what you understand about yourself was the one shining out through his eyes. 

He closed his eyes, took a deep breath and began. Even if it made no sense he'd say it anyway.

"I am very lucky.. I have the best family. You all put up with my attitude, put up with my demands, put up with everything, everything. I always felt that I was made to have it all. Girls found me cute ever since I was at school. In High school I was a heartthrob." He grinned, while his eyes shone with the lining of tears.

She smiled at him lovingly. Lucky, she was, to find this best man.

He patted her hand gently. "I've been so pampered by mom-dad. Was always the favorite of teachers. In short I've always lived on my conditions, taking everything for granted. Then...you happened. It's cheesy and too romantic to be true– but trust me when I first saw you, I had this weird feeling. I was nervous for the first time in my life. Girls usually you know checked me out at first sight. But, you just looked into my eyes and then didn't look back again until I was leaving. Even when you spoke, you looked everywhere except me. I had this feeling that I wanted to have you look at me like that first time forever. "

She blushed slightly remembering the day. How could she freaking look at those hypnotizing eyes again! She had barely looked at him when her eyes sank the image of his. That was it. She couldn't dare to look again. The feeling she had never felt. It was so strong. She feared looking into those eyes again. They were very very magical. 

"Then we became friends, fell in love and were married and..life was perfect. You'd do so much for me. I always knew I was destined to have the best. But slowly with time, I began feeling this hollowness... You all were so perfect, so loving, the best! But when I looked at myself, I was still that brat of a boy living like a prince. I had nothing I could say looking at- that is what I did...that is what makes my family takes pride in me. Was given the position of the head in office, was married to the best woman, I just got it all."

Anika looked at him painfully. She had never known behind that charming run of his there was so much conflict. She wanted to talk.. But stayed silent. He needed to get it all out. Once and forever.

"Couldn't even manage to wake up early!" He smiled tauntingly. She squeezed his hands. He shouldn't be so hard at himself. 

" That wasn't all.I had seen my parents leave this home and settle for a smaller one. I had been shifted out from the best school and put into a normal one. They wanted to save on the fees. I understood and was pretty okay. I knew wherever I'd be I would adapt. There was this phase in mom-dad's life, where they fought. They'd scream at each other. They would say the marriage was a mistake. I didn't like it. They were my parents, couldn't see them like that. The issue was always money. Crisis happens. One happened to us. "

She stared at him, understanding him like her own heart and mind. So much was there. A battle he had been in for so long. 

"I slowly began fearing. I never wanted us to fight. I never thought I could love something so much, that would make me want to protect it in anyway. That's when I decided. I would make you all proud of me. I'd never let financial issues between any relationship in the family. I'd give back to my parents what time took from them. I'd give you the life of that princess in a fairy-tale."