mess around ; seo changbin

first person

genre: fluff, flower shop au

◾◾◾◾◾

"Achoo!"

I sniffled and blew my nose into a tissue, throwing the used paper in the bin under the desk I was sat at. I sneezed, yet again, for what seemed like the hundredth time this morning. Glaring at the blooming flowers before me I cursed each petal in the back of my head.

"Stupid flowers. Causing me agony early in the morning," I say, kicking the trash can and accidentally knocking it over, its contents spilling all over the floor.

I stood up and groaned, picking up the broom and dustpan and cleaning my mess, my eyes still red and puffy from those cursed flowers.

Stupid allergies. Why would I get a job at a flower shop if I'm allergic to them?!

Oh, yeah. I risked my damned health just for money since I'm a broke college student who couldn't afford to live in a fancy apartment with five-star dining like what I have always wanted. But hey, the shop pays pretty well, so it'll do me some good.

Flowers are beautiful, but deadly.

Sniffling again, I glanced around the shop and admired the beauty of nature that is found inside the place I'm working at. Flowers and vines are neatly arranged, shrubs are trimmed and shaped perfectly, and potted plants—in all varieties and colors—were placed all around the shop.

The bell rings and a guy appears, wearing a white hoodie, dark blue trekking pants and a pair of black rubber shoes. He had black undercut hair a grim expression on his face, and I shivered.

He looks like one of the guys you wouldn't want to mess with.

He walks up to the desk and scrunches his nose up in disgust, he looks like he doesn't even want to be here as well.

Same bro, same.

A customer here in the shop means they're gonna buy flowers. And when someone buys flowers means that I have to get close and touch those little rascals who are the reason why I earn a decent amount of money to keep myself alive.

Okay, maybe I'm overexaggerating and all but that's how I see my life—an adventure full of exaggerations.

The guy props his elbows on top of the counter and looks at me with boredom in his eyes, "Hey, pick me a goddamn flower so we can get this over with."

Rude, I wanted to say out loud, but I kept my mouth shut and just got up from my seat and went to the section of carnations, almost sneezing again.

Glancing behind me I looked at the guy behind me. Sure he was cute, but that's what made feel even more nervous than being surrounded by a bunch of flowers.

I take in his features for a few seconds, dark and deep chocolate eyes gleaming with boredom. His plump limps were curved into a frown, seemingly hating the little devils called flowers as well.

We really have something in common.

"Hey," he says, his voice dripping with ennui waving his hand in front of my face, "stop staring at me and do your job."

I blushed and looked away, muttering out a silent sorry.

Usually I was the introverted one in the friend group, always too shy to even say a simple "hi". I was in a tiny group of three friends, and that was enough. In my opinion, there was no point in having more.

But today, this is a different case.

"I...um, I'm (Y-Y/N)..." I say quietly, moving to pick the freshest batch of red carnations.

The guy raised one of his brows, a knowing smirk on his lips. "So, you talk huh?"

I kept silent.

"The name's Changbin. Seo Changbin."

Nodding, I turned to him and met his captivating eyes, which made me look away out of embarrassment. "S-So...what kind flower do you want?"

Changbin looked at his nails out of boredom before turning to look at me dead in the eye, "I don't care. Just get me what looks the best so I can get the hell out of here," he looks down on his phone. "Chan hyung is making me go there faster," he mumbled.

"Okay," I say, then a thought strikes me light lightning. "Is it a girl or a guy?" I ask, moving away from the flowers when I felt a sudden itch.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" he says with a smirk.

Without knowing it, I frowned slightly. He probably already has a girlfriend, I thought. "So, how about a bouquet of white carnations?"

"Sure, whatever. As long as they look pretty."

I nod, taking out a handful of carnations from the bucket  before biting the inside of my cheek to stop myself from sneezing, a habit that I had gotten used to do ever since I found out about my allergy.

"Wait," I say, placing the flowers on a table before running to my station, rummaging through my things. Then, I found my hand sanitizer and my mask, applying the liquid onto my palms before putting the black mask over my face, covering my nose downwards.

Going back to where I put the flowers down, I bound them inside a pink crepe paper, sealing them with a brown ribbon. I hand them over to Changbin, "That'll be 15,000 won." I say.

"They're for my sister, she's graduating." he says suddenly, giving me the exact amount of money as I place them inside the register.

I look up at him, confused. "What?"

"Are you deaf, or stupid? You asked if they were a boy or a girl. I said they're for my sister," Changbin states, his ears turning a little pink as he looks away.

I crack a small smile, He's opening up. Maybe he isn't so bad after all.

Suddenly, he smirks and looks at me, leaning over the counter as he leans his elbows down.

I scoot away, but then Changbin leaps over and walks up to me, grabs my wrists with his hands and pinning them above my head, trapping me with his body. I try to move and get out of his iron grip, but he was a guy—his strength is much greater than mine.

"The flowers you picked aren't pretty. I found a much prettier one," he breathes out.

Changbin leans closer until our faces are merely a hair away, and I could feel my face getting hotter and my heart beating insanely fast as seconds pass by.

"Um..."

"You know, I like you."

But before he could take his actions further, a certain something interrupted.

"ACHOO!"

I jerk back, getting out of the counter with my face burning with embarrassment as I mutter out apologies.

Gosh, I'm a dead meat. I'm pretty sure he hates me now.

Changbin visibly grimaces and wipes his face with his sleeve, his eyes closed. Suddenly he opens his eyes and smirks at me, dropping a pink rose on the table as he walks over to me and places a small peck on my cheek.

"I'll be sure to drop by again (Y/N)," he chuckles, and I shivered.

"Do you know what it means when a guy gives a girl a rose?" he asks.

Of course I know. I've been working my ass in a flower shop for god's sake.

I love you.

But hey, though allergies and flowers are a pain in the ass, they also somehow made me a huge favor. Maybe working in a flower shop wasn't such a bad idea after all.

◾◾◾◾◾

Vote, comment, share!

- pealix_lee 💖