Chapter 13:

My phone rang while I was driving and it was Egan. Supposed she found something really weird about me asking information about Reece.

I answered the phone and my eyes focused on the road. "Yes, Egan?"

"Hey...umm...what's up?"

"I'm good!"

"No. What's up I meant why are you asking questions about Reece all of the sudden?"

"I told you I was just curious."

"No, something's wrong."

"What do you mean?" My heart began to beat faster. Something's wrong?

"Hunter, tell me the truth. What's happening?"

"Egan-"

"Please. And I promise I'd be completely fine with it."

"It's weird and stupid, Egan. I don't think I'd be comfortable with you hearing my thoughts currently."

"I won't mind."

"Sure you will!"

"Hunter!" She insisted, sounding really annoyed. I got scared.

"Okay! Okay...fine. You're really desperate to hear it?"

"Yes I am" she replied challengingly.

"Okay fine." I rolled my eyes. "I just think I saw Reece on the parking lot today."

"You are hallucinating."

"He was wearing a hoodie or something. Kinda like hiding himself."

"Hunter-"

"Look, I just don't like you getting in trouble because of that guy again. He's not laying a single finger on you. I'm not letting him."

She got speechless.

"You don't deserve to be treated as crap okay? You're worth more than that, Egan. You've got to believe me."

"Well I actually got a little bit scared because you were asking questions. Like, you don't care about him one bit and it got really weird when you texted me that."

"Okay, I'm sorry if I didn't tell you earlier. I just don't have any intentions to worry you or scare you. You just recovered from a fever and now you're going to learn that? I'm really sorry."

"No, you have a point. I just felt weird and I also felt like I ought to know."

"I'm really sorry for what I did, Egan. Promise it won't happen again."

"No, no. I'm cool with it. You have a point!"

"Egan come on. You and I both know that I did something wrong." I smiled, as if she'll see it.

"You don't have to take the blame for the mistake I've made, Hunter."

"Okay," I finally arrived at my destination and pulled over. I was about to say something but I was too focused on the area where I planned to park my car and until I forgot about what was I about to say.

"Hello? Hunter?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm here."

"What happened?"

"I just parked my car, why?" I told her as I killed the engine.

"Oh alright. Hey, I have to go now. I'm about to take a shower and go to sleep."

"Alright, good night?"

"Goodnight bye!"

"Bye, I love you" I said without thinking.

"What was that?"

"I was complimenting the colorful lights around these trees." I explained. "I said 'colorful' out loud did I?"

"Uh...I think I did heard you say something sort of like that but-" she chuckled.

"Anyways..."

"Bye?"

"Bye...and good night."

"Good night Hunter Hayes" she hung up. I placed my phone in my pocket and did a background check before getting out of the car.

I made sure every door's locked before leaving my car in the parking area.