Chapter 71 - Lanterns and Wishes

"Soooo.... where is my Nini taking me?" Lisa emphasized the "my" to see if it would get a reaction out of Jennie, since she used "my Lili" back at the club.

"Oh... You picked up on that..." Jennie murmured. "Yeah, I-uh... I just wanted to tell them you're my friend." Okay, technically, I'm not lying. She is still my friend... I just... Ugh, why is this so confusing? Snap out of it, Jennie, she asked you a question after all!

Lisa then added:

"Oh, yeah, no... I figured that one out." Lisa smiled at Jennie. "But really... Where are we going? Hehe."

"Oh, we're actually quite close, you'll see after we walk up this hill!" Jennie replied happily. Okay, I got myself out of that one!

"Okay, I wonder what it is." Lisa replied while thinking - I also wonder why I can't find a subtle way to ask you about that guy you're not seeing... And that other person! Come on, Manoban, think of something smooth! ... Also, did she get stumped by my question earlier? She did pause for a bit... Hmmm....

The duo, along with the two bodyguards, arrived at the top of a small hill that overlooked a small valley.

"Whoa! No way!" Lisa's mouth was wide open as soon as she saw the scene in front of her - hundreds of people holding paper lanterns, ready to release them into the sky.

"Come! We're going to release one of our own!" Jennie spoke excitedly as she took Lisa's hand and ran towards the people. Lisa followed, still holding Jennie's hand. The bodyguards followed as well, discreetly.

"Where do...? How do...?" Lisa didn't even know what to ask.

"I've heard of this "Night-light" festival a couple of days ago!" Jennie responded while they were running towards one of the many stands where they could get a lantern for themselves. When they got there, Jennie asked politely:

"One, please!"

She then continued the story that she started from before:

"Anyway, it said that they would be releasing paper-lanterns in the night sky, and I was like "Oh, that seems nice, I wanna do that"! But first, I didn't want to do it alone and second, I didn't know if I would be able to do it due to my tour.... So yeah... Here we are!"

"This is amazing!" Lisa didn't have any other words at that point, she was just happy to be there and to share that moment with Jennie. But wait... This! This could be my excuse to ask about her situation... Okay Lisa, play it cool. Play. It. Coooool. Lisa internally smirked.

The duo stood next to the crowd of people, holding the paper lantern between them, smiling at each other.

"Yeah, I can see why you wouldn't want to do this alone... It's more of an activity for two." Lisa started.

"Right?" Jennie replied happily.

"I'm guessing... The guy you are not seeing was busy?" Lisa cringed internally upon asking that question. Okay, wow... That could have been better... Oh, yeah, not smooth at all, Lisa.

"Oh wow... That's right.... Our drunk conversation...That's when I told you about him...." Jennie replied with an awkward smile.

"Oh, we don't need to talk about it, I'm sorry I brought it up." Lisa sincerely apologized. I probably stepped over a line there...

"No, it's okay... It's just weird how we've never discussed it, right? The drunk conversation, I mean" Jennie responded.

"I mean... What is there to discuss? We are friends, we got drunk and we talked on the phone... After that, we were both kinda... busy, so we didn't have a chance to discuss it afterwards!" Lisa was getting a bit nervous because she didn't know where this conversation was heading so she said those words shyly.