23

Later that day, Gohan went home and you were left at place. Alone. You sighed heavily as you plopped on the couch and turned on your television. After skimming through a few channels, your eyes diverted to your cell phone on the coffee table. You were thinking now that you were having some alone time, maybe you should start putting more consideration into whether or not you want your parents to meet Gohan.

You let out another sigh.

Personally, this was the last thing you wanted; for him to meet your parents and everything turning out as bad as you imagined. Of course, we are humans and sometimes we think situations may turn out worse than they may. But, you have known your parents for years and last you checked, they haven't really changed.

You sighed again as you fell deeper into your sofa.

You quickly got up to text Gohan a heart emoji and then sank back into your spot on the couch. You heard a ding and Gohan sent you a large group of hearts. It made you smile and you continued to flip through the channels. You landed on the news and decided to catch up on some current events.

You eyes diverted to your phone again.

Why was your body doing this? You were actually getting the feeling to call your mother. Maybe your intuition was telling you that mom is sitting somewhere, by herself, thinking of you...maybe?...

You decided to take the plunge.

You slowly sat up and picked up your phone. You slowly pressed on the contacts icon and watched it quickly open. You started scrolling through your contacts and stopped when you saw the contact listed as 'mom.' You breathed in through your nose deeply, held it in for a few seconds, and breathed out slowly through your mouth. You pressed on her name, watched as your screen changed then your phone started ringing. You breathed in through your nose deeply again as you brought your phone up to your ear.

Your phone kept ringing. It rang for a while. It stopped ringing and went to voicemail. You hung up and sighed again. You placed your phone on the coffee table and got up to get a glass of water. As soon as you were about to enter the kitchen, you heard your phone ring.

You quickly turned half your body and tried to see the name from a distance but you couldn't. You didn't mean to but your body ended up rushing over to your phone and you hurried to pick it off the table. It was your mother. You picked it up and said hello.

"(y/n)?...I'm sorry I missed your call...I hesitated to pick up. When I didn't...I felt bad and quickly called back."

Mom was always one for honestly no matter how unnecessary or even brutal it is.

"It's okay, mom."

You responded as you slowly sat back down on your couch. This was it, a time to speak with your mother.

"Um...are you busy?"

"Not at all. Is there something specific you wanted to talk about? I haven't heard from you in such a long time."

"I know. And yeah, I do have something important to tell you."

You came right out with it.

"I'm engaged." There was a pause. Then, the pause became an awkward silence.

"Mom?..."

"...I didn't even know you had a boyfriend..."

"I know. I haven't always felt comfortable about sharing that stuff with you."

She got offended. Most likely because you didn't tell her sooner. You honestly didn't want your parents to know about Gohan. At the same time, you didn't think your relationship would get to this point now. You saw each other getting married much later down the line. Obviously, Gohan didn't want to wait to get married down the line. He wants to go into the future married.

"Well..congratulations. When is the wedding?"

"We haven't chosen a date yet. We got engaged recently. On Christmas."

"How romantic."

"Are you being snarky with my mom?" You snapped.

"Says the daughter who recently got engaged to a boy that I don't even know."

"I have good reasons not to tell you, mother." You were trying your best not to raise your voice. But, she's pushing you there.

"And what are those reasons?"

"We've been over this so many times. I've been through too much with you and dad. I thought I was going to die."

"Nonsense! Me and your father would never let something like that happen to you under our care!"

"But you let all that other stuff happen! You can't even be happy for me in one of my greatest moments! What kind of mother are you!?"

"I'm YOUR mother and you will not raise your voice at me!"

"I don't CARE if you are my mom because clearly, you don't care that I'm your daughter!! I was thinking to come over to see you and dad so that you two can meet my fiance but clearly! I've decided not to because you can never make anything about anyone else except for yourself!"

"Pleasedon'thangup!"

"And why should I!?"

"Because! You're right! I was just mad that I didn't know! Because I'm your mom... I would have loved to know if you were that serious with someone..."

You breathed in deeply trying to regain your composure.

"I know mom." You breathed in again. "I'm just asking you to understand why I didn't."

"...okay...I'll try to understand why...are you seriously not coming for New Year's?..."

"...I think it would be best not to...maybe you two can meet Gohan over video chat or something..."

"I guess so..."

"I have to go. Talk to you soon, mom. Bye."

"Bye, honey." You quickly hung up the phone and let your phone drop onto the coffee table from your hand. You quickly put your blanket over your face as you started to scream into it. Right after, all the tears escaped. It always gets like that. The screaming, the yelling, lack of understanding you - the daughter. The lacking of trying to understand where your perspective could be. You always had to be the understanding one because of everything your parents were going through when you were growing up. But, how come your own mother can't try to understand you?

How come she couldn't make this moment about you?

That moment was all about you and the one you truly love. She can never take that away but it was something you were trying to share. She only got mad and offended because she didn't know learn about it sooner like some teenage girl. You were infuriated with her. Your anger only turned into more tears as you kept crying.

Your weeps quickly turned into sobs as you slowly got up again to walk into the kitchen to get that glass of water you wanted earlier.