Chapter 14-Promises and goodbyes

AVA'S POV

I wake up to my alarm ringing. I feel an arm draped around my waist. My mind searches for who it can be. Luke.

"Turn that fucking thing off Ava!" he grumbles. Speak of the devil. More like angel...

"Fine!" I shout while switching off my alarm. I yank his arm off me and grab a towel and my phone before making my way to the bathroom to have a shower. I take my PJ's off and put on an Oasis album, starting with 'Don't Look Back In Anger'. My muscles relax under the heat of the water. I start singing the 1st verse,

"Slip inside the eye of your mind,

Don't you know you might find,

A better place to play...

You said that you'd never been,

But all that you've seen,

Will slowly fade away..." I mutter the rest of the song until the chorus starts.

"And so Sally can wait,

She knows it's too late,

As she's walking on by.

Her soul slides away,

But don't look back in anger,

I heard you say..." After I wash my body and hair, I stand there till the rest of the song has finished. I finally decide to get out. I dry myself and wrap the towel around my body before opening the door only to come face to face with Luke. Well, more face to upper-chest. (Luke being so tall.)

"Great singing." he tells me.

I push past him gently and turn back while replying. "Well, Noel and Liam Gallagher are my jam." I finish and he chuckles before I enter my room and shut the door. I decide on a white, lace crop top, a pair of light coloured high-waisted shorts, an unbuttoned denim coloured shirt that falls just below my shorts and a pair of high top white converse. I put on a Blink 182 wrist band, silicone bands, a plaited leather bracelet and most importantly, my heart bracelet that Mathew got me. For today, my best option is waterproof mascara. The rest of my make-up consists of a deep red lipstick, a thin line of eyeliner and I scrunch my hair while drying it so my natural curls turn to sort of beach waves. When I'm done I tell Luke he can come in and I apply a top coat on my ring fingers that I painted black and white Aztec zig zags. The rest of my nails are black.

As soon as I'm done, carefully, I grab Luke's hand and pull him downstairs so we can get breakfast.

"Have some granola or a granola bar if you want." I tell him while using my hands to hoist myself up on to the counter.

"Ok, you want some?" he asks me while opening the cupboard to find the box of bars.

"Yeah, just as long as you don't mind me not being able to breath, my lips swell, you drive me to the hospital at..." I check my phone. "4:30am and have the doctors inject my lips, ok, give me some nuts. Great plan Lukey." I reply and roll my eyes.

"Fine. Jesus. I just asked. So you're allergic to nuts?" he asks.

"Yep. We found out when I was six after I ate my first fish covered in pine nuts." I reply.

"Ouch..."

"Had to inject my lips two times a day for three weeks. I remember those weeks well." I tell him rolling my eyes.

He chuckles. "I'll get a very unhealthy chocolate bar for the car ride." I mumble before jumping off the counter and fetching a 'Tim Tam' to put in my pocket.

"Ready?" I ask. He nods and finishes his granola bar and throws the wrapper in the bin. We both walk out the house and I lock the front door. I join Luke in my second hand black Peugeot 207. He turns the key in the ignition and pulls out the driveway towards Sydney Airport.

-

When we were on the way to the airport, we listened to Nirvana, Kaiser Chiefs, Oasis, Blink 182 and All Time Low together. The music blasted through the speakers and a couple of times old men stuck up their middle fingers due to the fact that it wasn't even 5:00am. Luke parked in a space near terminal 1 for me to enter where I would find Mathew and his parents along with Dylan.

"This won't take long Luke." I assure him turning towards the drivers seat. We look into each others eyes.

"Be careful Ava." he replies before stealing a quick, but sweet, kiss. I smile before opening the door and running to the big automatic door. They open and I step in. I look over the heads and see a group of four people. My feet reluctantly trudged over to them. Mathew turns around to face me opening his mouth to speak but I put hand up in front of his face signaling to shut up. He does so.

"Let me say this in a way you can understand. We. Are. Over. Anything we had, gone. All because you made a stupid, fucking mistake to leave me. All those minutes of my calling allowance I used up on you, means nothing." I rant.

"You're right I'm a fuck up. I really am-" he starts but I cut him off.

''I wasn't finished." I snap before turning back to my left wrist and rip the bracelet off and yank the promise ring off my ring finger. I hand him the jewellery and he gives me an confused look.

"I said give these to me when w-"

"When we were done Mat. When I had given up on you. When I couldn't see you in my future. When I couldn't love you anymore. When I'd lost all hope. When my heart fucking ached because of you. Mathew, I love you so god damn much. I said I'd give you these when I knew we'd never carry on. When I'd started writing a break up song just like Taylor. When I'd be able to watch The Notebook with someone else. When I found out you weren't worth it. When I'd found another guy... When I loved someone else, When we broke up... Bye Mat..." I finish with tears welling in my eyes. They started to appear when I started that speech. I weakly smile before running out the terminal to an unoccupied parking space. I lay down there and belt out the chorus to 'Complicated' by Avril Lavigne.

"Why'd ya have to go and make things so complicated?

I see the way you're acting like you're somebody else, getting me frustrated,

Life's like this you,

You fall, And you crawl, And you break, And you take,

What you get,

And you turn it into,

Honestly you promised me I'm never gonna find you fake it,

No no no..." I sing/sob closing my eyes.

"You always speak your mind Ava." I hear a familiar voice ask. Lucas Hemmings...Then I hear the small granules of rock clink as he makes a spot next to me to lay down on. "How did it go?" he asks.

I sigh. "Gave him back the promise jewellery and most importantly, I gave him sass..." I reply emphasising the last word. He chuckles leaving us is silence for a few minutes.

"I now feel I can forget about him. I thought he meant something to me, but really he was just a crush." I speak up.

"Yeah, you'll have loads of those before you meet The One." Luke replies.

"I can't count how many times Ash thought he had those. Speaking of Ash, I wonder where he is now...?"