- Its all groovy -

[This book contains mature content/topics/scenes along the way. As an FYI to remember.]

"So you sure he'll be alright with me showing up like this?"

John considered my question for a moment.

It was a miracle that I ran straight into him at the school parking lot. Fortunately he waited long enough for me to get there just in time and was so understanding and forgiving towards my late arrival. Most people wouldn't stick around willingly but John was nice.

Unlike some folk... 

I also didn't tell him the whole truth on why I was late, but that something personal had come up. I mean.... it was something VERY personal so I wasn't technically wrong... Right?

"Yeah.... I'm just scared, Cora. What if..." He cut himself off. I tried to comfort him as we walked towards our cars. "He does something...."

"I know," I was scared too. Nelson was fragile, and someone as fragile as him, having to face the loss of his mother and the cruel treatment of assholes, was an easy target for losing to their own dark thoughts and acting upon it.

One part of me wanted to contact our pack guardian and our divine priestess, Amora, fearing the worst possible outcome... like suicide, but the other part of me was hopeful that we'd get there in time to comfort him. That he wouldn't do anything drastic and was alright.

We had one destination in mind and that was Nelson's home. 

I wasn't going to intervene, I was just here to show moral support if either John or Nelson needed it. Most importantly, I wanted to be a friend to Nelson. To be a pack member that cares. To help him feel apart of our community and equally important, because he was just as valuable as anyone else.

Car following behind John's, it wasn't long until we pulled up at the front of Nelson's two-storey house. There was no car in his driveway. His dad was most likely at work. His father, Morris, was a bookkeeper who worked for our pack council.

"I'll wait here," I told John, leaning on the outside of my car.

Part of me felt slightly uncomfortable, being here, like it wasn't my place to intervene, but a stronger sensation to comfort and protect Nelson overcame that feeling.

"Okay," John gulped.

Without hesitation, he spun on his heel and headed straight for the front door. Knocking a fourth time and calling out Nelson's name, I could sense his panic. He glanced over his shoulder at me before looking back at the door. Fiddling with the doorknob, surprisingly the front door was left unlocked.

Cue the eerie music in my head.

My body filled with anxiousness. I tried to keep my expression neutral.

Everything will be okay.

John entered the quiet house.

I waited.

It felt like ten minutes had gone by.

Nelson was going to be up, reading a book in his bedroom or fast asleep. He would be alright... things will be okay.

I couldn't wait any longer.

I quietly entered the house, stopping by the end of the carpeted staircase and glancing up at the railing.

I heard a sniffle.

My stomach dropped and I raced up the stairs.

As I entered the bedroom, my body froze at the door.