- Daring words -

I coolly reached for my glass, taking a sip from the cold water that was already poured by our previous waitress, all too aware of Theo's continuous stare that hovered over me.

It was amusing knowing just how easy it was getting under his skin. It wasn't a big deal what I done... if I done it to someone completely different to Theo, who felt his words, decisions and views were the best. Now was it petty, yes, and worthwhile? An even bigger yes!

Of course it was! So exciting.

"Hm," I heard, my eyes flickering towards him as he leaned back in his seat. "Have you ever tried arancini?"

"Nope," I said, a satisfied smile on my face. "But I'm sure they'll be good."

"Why are you so certain?"

"Because the waiter recommended it."

"Oh," He nodded, his lips still pressed against one another. I paused for a moment, taking notice of a gleam in his eyes. It was like he was thinking about something as he calmly stared at me.

Nearly nervous, I tried to play it off and for once, not try and further dig my grave. "You know, they work here so it's probably a popular dish, that's why I think it'll be good. Wouldn't be recommended to customers otherwise."

"Okay," Is all he said.

Okay? Oopsie. That's an interesting response from him. One that had me slightly tense, in a good but nervous way. "Yeah," I half smiled, before changing the topic. "My parents have been trying more."

His eyebrows raised. "I'm surprised."

"By what? Them trying?"

"No," He shook his head. "By you wanting to talk about them. The last time I mentioned them, you freaked out on me."

"I did not freak out!" I said like a defensive child, before crossing my brows as he shot me a knowing look. "I just got angry."

"Over me telling you the truth."

"Well, would you wanna hear stuff like that said about yours?"

He scoffed. "You mean the truth?" A displeased look crossed his face. "I'll tell you straight up those types of things. My father isn't the heroic man you think. He's a piece of shit."

"Woah." I voiced out, my face surprised at his openness. "Your dad is the Alpha-"

"And that's all that he is," Theo narrowed his stare, his fingers playing with the rim of his glass. "He's not anything more."

"What... did he do wrong?" His gaze lifted up to me. "Oh, sorry, on second thought, never mind, you don't need to tell me..."

"I will tell you," He paused. "But not right now. This isn't the right time to talk about shit like this."

"You're right," I nodded. Had to agree with him, this really wasn't the best time.

"Of course I am."

Rolling my eyes at his cocky comment, I tilted my head. "I know it's not the best time but... what does your father think about my parents return?"

"He's indifferent towards it," Theo shrugged a shoulder. "I however, am not. I think it's odd. Questionable."

"Why?"

"Why? Maybe because that's just it, why are they back? Why now?"

"I know..." I trailed. "But... why do you care if the Alpha and pack council don't care?"

"Because it's you, Cora."

I couldn't hide my surprise. Say what?

He continued. "It involves you. Your life. Your family. Which will be my family one day too. Of course I'll care."