Chapter 10

Starscream's P.O.V.

I growled to myself as I looked over a few files on the computer, remaining in the command bridge alone for a bit. Our last plan had fallen into pieces, just like the last one. And the one after that. I slammed my fist down onto the counter, feeling the built up anger start to take its toll.

"Why can't I ever win?!" I suddenly snapped. Of course, with no one in the room, there was no one to respond to my outburst. I sighed, placing a hand over my face with my optics closed. What am I doing wrong? Lord Megatron seemed to have no trouble with his plans, or having his troops follow his every command flawlessly.

So what do I have that he doesn't?

The sudden sound of doors sliding open snapped my out of my thoughts. With my hands placed behind my back, I looked over my shoulder, seeing Nightstreak stride over towards me.

"Nightstreak? Where have you been?" I asked. I didn't really notice her absence until now. 

"I apologize Lord Starscream, I was just helping Soundwave with a small error in the communications. We have it up and running smoothly now." she replied. I nodded.

"Oh, I see, very good." However, Nightstreak continued to stare at me, almost hesitantly. I have grown better at studying her body language, since I obviously can't gain any clue of her thoughts on her face. I looked away, gazing out the window of the command bridge.

"Does something bother you, Nightstreak?" I asked. There was a moment of silence, and it felt strange. She usually isn't hesitant to hide how she feels around anyone. However, she eventually spoke up.

".....if I may Starscream, may I ask you a question?" she asked. I fully turned around to face her, finally catching some interest. Nightstreak looked back at me, and I felt uneasy seeing my own reflection her her black screen of a face. I wonder if she realizes the similarity she shares with Soundwave, appearance wise I mean.

"You may." I replied. 

"I've been wondering for a while now.....do you hate Megatron?" she asked. My optics widened, taken aback by the question. Then I sent her a deadly glare.

"Of course I do, don't be ridiculous. You should be fully aware of that by now!" I stated. She didn't react timidly, but rather countered my answer with another question.

"How come?" she asked. I blinked, then scoffed.

"You've got to be joking! It's obviously because...because, uh....because...." I felt my wings droop as I trailed off, optics widening with realization.....why do I hate Megatron? I've never really thought of why I hated him. I suppose, if I was to think why I wanted to terminate him in the first place, then....

"I hated how he was above me. How he could act like a king without any consequence." I stated with gritted teeth, feeling my fists clench with fury. Yes, that was it! I hated the power he held, and how he could use it as he pleases! Meanwhile I was stuck being his pet, doing every command he ordered.

"Is he a bad leader?" Nightstreak asked. Again, her question puzzled me, and I furrowed my brows. However, thinking over it, while maybe a bit on the twisted side, he did always seem to be one step ahead of the Autobots. Not to mention he was quite powerful, and he certainly didn't have any trouble keeping his troops in check.

"I wouldn't say that...." I accidentally muttered.

"So then....you didn't hate him," I snapped my head at her when those words slipped from her mou- actually, she didn't have a mouth, "you were only envious of his power that he held." I growled, taking a few steps towards her.

"Don't be stupid! I do hate him! Nothing will change that! And don't you ever question it again!" I said in a fierce tone. Nighstreak seemed unphased by my outburst, remaining silent. Then she gave a single nod.

"Alright." she replied plainly. I blinked, surprised by her calm answer. Then I sighed, walking past her and heading for the exit.

"Where are you going?" she asked. I stopped for a moment, looking back at her.

"Since you bring up our leader, I figured I might as well check upon his condition right now." I stated. However I didn't admit the fact that I felt a sudden sense of....concern for the tyrant while we spoke of him.

"May I accompany you?" Nightstreak asked.

"If you wish." I replied, now exiting the command bridge. However I didn't hear her footsteps behind me, which is why she caught me off guard when she was suddenly by my side. I suppose she is stealthier than I expected.

Breakdown's P.O.V.

I made one slow movement with the buffer across Megatron's unconscious body, seeing as the rust disappeared and revealed his shiny metal chasis. I never thought in a million years that I would see our leader in such terrible condition. I tilted my head as I looked at him curiously. He wouldn't pretend to be in stasis would he?

"Ah, Breakdown," I slowly turned around to see Starscream and Nighstreak entering the med bay, "Has there been any change in Megatron's condition?" Starscream asked. I looked back at the warlord as they both approached him.

"Hmm, only cosmetic." I replied blandly. Nighstreak moved to Megatron's left, looking at him. I wasn't quite sure how I knew this, considering she only had a black screen for a face, but she seemed rather concerned for Megatron.

"So, he hasn't gotten any better...." she replied quietly.

"Um, can't say he has," I said, placing a hand behind my neck nervously, "But uh, he hasn't gotten any worse either." 

"Well, I am sure you and the good doctor have been doing everything in your power..." Starscream trailed off as he looked around the med bay, "Where is Knockout?" he asked. As if on cue, Knockout entered the med bay, an expression of displeasure written on his face.

"Can you believe what some skinjob did to me? Oh..." he growled, approaching closer to Nightstreak. Starscream sneered.

"You have been street racing among the humans again, haven't you?" he demanded. Knockout turned to face the Seeker with a sly smile.

"I'm not only an automobile, I'm an automobile enthusiast." he replied smoothly. 

"I do strive to run a tight ship, Knockout. I would strongly suggest that you seek my permission next time you decide to disappear on one of your little....jaunts." Starscream said, saying the last part lowly. Knockout only rolled his optics.

"No worries, Heir Commandant." Starscream narrowed his eyes right at the red mech.

"It is Lord to you." he stated firmly. Knockout gestured to Megatron.

"Only if Megatron takes a nose dive." he replied cockily. Starscream stepped closet to him until they were face to face, growling to himself.

"The day our master emerges from stasis, I will greatly relinquish the title. But I believe that outcome is unlikely....something to do with the quality of medical care around here." he said. Knockout however seemed to have ignored the insult as Starscream turned away.

"So continue buffing, we do want Megatron looking his best for the memorial." he stated, walking out of med bay. I raised the buffer to continue buffing Megatron, but Knockout tapped my shoulder and raised his arm, where the scratch he complained about earlier was shown.

"Buff this." he said. I didn't question him and buffed him anyway. However as I did, I noticed Nightstreak hadn't left, but rather she stayed, still looking at Megatron. Knockout seemed to notice as well.

"Uh, Nightstreak, your fussy boss went that way." he replied, pointing at the door. Nightstreak turned away from Megatron and looked at us.

"Will you please take good care of Megatron?" I was taken aback by the request, and looked at Knockout, who shared the same surprised expression. However he looked back at Nightstreak, tracing his claws over where the scratch use to be on his arm.

"Uh, of course we will. He'll be just fine." Knockout replied. Nightstreak nodded, and headed out to leave med bay. When she was gone, we looked at each other strangely, wondering the same thing.

Why did she care?