Chapter 62

Nightstreak's P.O.V.

I cannot believe it. It's actually the Shockwave. Probably the best Decepticon scientist ever known! I can't believe I'm actually seeing him on this very ship! I thought he had perished long ago. I watched as Shockwave gave a small bow to Lord Megatron.

"Lord Megatron." he addressed, to which Megatron smiled.

"Shockwave! This is quite an unexpected turn," Megatron glanced over his shoulder to look at Starscream, who seemed more than squeamish, "I thought you'd perish on Cybertron." Megatron stated with an edge in his voice. Starscream cleared his throat and chuckled nervously.

"Y-Yes, as did we all." he quickly added.

"Reports of my demise were greatly....premature. A pair of Autobots infiltrated my facility on Cybertron, sabotaging my space bridge. I gave chase, but failed to accurately calculate the outcome. I awoke in the rubble; blinded. It soon became clear that I was marooned on our dead planet, with no means of communication. In time, I repaired my wounds, and resumed my experiments. The solitude enabled me to make tremendous advances in my research. Until one day, my instruments detected a massive surge of unidentifiable energy. I traveled to investigate its origin; at the edge of the Sea of Rust, where I encountered your salvage team and the smoldering wreckage of the Omega Lock. But this was not the search party I had anticipated so long ago...." 

I could only stare at Shockwave in....well, shock. He was marooned on Cybertron for that long?! All by himself! No one he could get into contact with. No one to help him during his time of need. No one to provide any company what so ever. That must've been awful. I could only imagine how I would feel if I was left in solitude for years to come on a dead planet.

"Leaving one unanswered question." I snapped out of my thoughts as Shockwave continued. He and Megatron both gave Starscream a suspicious glare. It was then I realized they were thinking Starscream must've abandoned Shockwave. I mean....did he abandon him? I didn't realize Shockwave and Starscream even had any history.

"Why was I left for scrap? Abandoned. Why?" Shockwave asked in a low voice, taking a step closer to the shaking commander. Starscream's optics were wide, and seemed unsure of how to answer. Meanwhile Shockwave was staring at him with great intensity. Perhaps his face only composed of a single, red optic....but I could sense the serious anger hidden behind his glare. Finally Starscream spoke.

"The-the-the explosion, it collapsed the power cord chamber. The last thing anyone witnessed was you charging into the space bridge portal. No one saw you come back out." Starscream explained. He held a cautious expression, however, as if hoping his alibi was enough to satisfy the scientist.

"I find your reply to be....logical." Shockwave stated, making Starscream sigh in relief. Megatron and Shockwave were both about to leave, but Starscream put on a smirk.

"But you will be pleased to know that I avenged your seeming demise by personally terminating the Autobot, Cliffjumper." he stated with a prideful chuckle afterwards, to which Knockout rolled his optics.

"Careful Starscream, you may dislocate a landing gear patting yourself on the back." he remarked, earning a chuckle from Breakdown. Starscream ignored both cons and walked beside Shockwave.

"As Megatron's first lieutenant, allow me to welcome you back to the winning team." he replied. That made Megatron pause at the door.

"And allow me to clarify the new chain of command," he replied, turning around to face us, "While Starscream will retain authority over military operations, Shockwave will be my first lieutenant in charge of all....scientific endeavors." he explained. Starscream took a nervous step forward, putting on a displeased expression.