Chapter Twenty Six: Wild Wild Love

Adriana Rose Watson POV

     Oh-oh, this wild wild love of ours, it can't be tamed, no, this wild wild love of ours, it can't be tamed, no, for better or worse, a blessing or a curse, long live this wild wild love of ours, long live this wild wild love.” GRL ft Pitbull, Wild Wild Love.

The ride back from the beach was silent and awkward. I wanted nothing for him to pull the car over and kiss me passionately. But I just didn’t want to give in so quickly.

I loved this man so much that I would do anything and everything for him and that truly scared me. I had only felt like this for one boy before and that relationship hadn’t ended well. And even those are nothing but a petty crush compared to what I feel for Joel.

I turned to look at him and saw his knuckles were clenched around the steering wheel and he was driving rather quickly. Any blind person could tell he was either angry or frustrated, probably both.

I couldn’t blame him. I had been a pain the last couple of weeks. I knew he couldn’t tell what I wanted; I didn’t even know what I wanted. I wasn’t in denial though; I was just protecting my heart from him.

I kept giving him mixed signals and I knew that was frustrating him. It would frustrate me too. It would feel like all he was doing was playing me and lying, now I only felt bad for giving him those signals.

A couple minutes later, the car was parked outside my house. Joel sat stiffly and un-moving, almost statue like. He was still gripping the steering wheel tightly, but not as tightly as before.

I wanted to say something, thank him for taking me out tonight. But every time I opened my mouth, I couldn’t get the words out. My mouth was dry and my hands were growing clammy. I was expecting him to lash out at me, or do something that would set us back to where we started.

But he didn’t do anything. He just sat there, staring ahead. And I sat there staring at him.

Finally, I opened my mouth and words started spewing out.

      “I’m sorry about before, I didn’t mean to ruin everything. I know you probably hate me and you don’t want to be with me. I mean, I totally understand-“ I was cut short when Joel sharply turned towards me.

      “I could never hate you. No matter how angry you’ve gotten me, no matter how much I just want to give up right now, I’m still holding onto that little glimmer of hope.” He said gravely.

      “You should hate me! You have every reason to hate me. It doesn’t matter how much you’ve hurt me, Joel. I don’t care about that right now. I don’t want to hurt you, because if you decide to follow me out of this car, I’m not promising that our hearts won’t be broken by the end of this. And for that, you should definitely hate me.” I gushed out.

He stared at me. He didn’t move, not even a blink of his eye lashes.

      “I’m going to go, thank you Joel, for everything.” I said quietly. I jumped out of the car and rushed towards the door.