Chapter Forty: When I Was Your Man

Joel Brooks POV

"I hope he buys you flowers, I hope he holds your hand, give you all his hours, when he has the chance, take you to every party, 'cause I remember how much you loved to dance, do all the things I should have done, when I was your man." - Bruno Mars, When I Was Your Man.

I stared at the television heatedly, marveling over how happy she looked. My Adriana wore a beautiful, bright smile as she stared up at her fiancé. Her eyes; usually they shined brightly with happiness as she smiled, but they looked duller then usual, they didn't have the glint in them that I loved.

God how I crave to make her laugh again, just the sound of her melodic laugh brought a small smile to my face. Her eyes would crinkle at the edges slightly the fire in her eyes would twinkle extraordinarily and the urge to kiss her pink, full lips would be strong.

There were so many things I wanted to for her and to do to her, but I would never get the chance to. She wasn't and never will be mine again.

I immediately felt idiotic for not fighting for her, maybe that would've made her stay? Maybe if I was richer, spoilt her more. Paid more attention to her wants and needs.

I should've taken her out on more dates, shown her how much I really love her, brought her the most expensive jewelry and flowers, taken her out dancing, to every party.

But now, she has another man, somebody who isn't me to do that for her. And I sure as hell hope he does, she deserves the very best of everything and unfortunately, he could give her all that.

My heart broke a little further when I realised I couldn't give her what she deserved. I didn't deserve somebody so, angelically stunning, with a pure heart and soul. Somebody like her.

They all say, to make a girl fall in love, you've got to make her laugh. But every time she did laugh, I was the one falling deeper in love.

Adriana Rose Watson POV

The next few days went by too quick and I soon found myself only a day away from my wedding day. I felt excited at the thought of getting married, but felt like shit when I realised I wasn't getting married to Joel.

But I didn't deserve him; I lied to him countless of times and now, I'm letting him believe that everything we had was a lie.

With those thoughts fresh in my mind, I made my way down towards my family, who were celebrating. They said they wanted to celebrate my 'freedom' before I got hitched, but I honestly think they just wanted to get drunk.

As I walked down the stairs softly, I could hear Nicole giggling loudly. But what shocked me the most was when I walked into the lounge room, Dane was nuzzling his cheek into Nicole's neck, who obviously, was drunk.

I saw George sitting across the room, glaring at the two who were too busy downing alcohol to realize.

"So, how long have you had feelings for Nicole?" I asked George, who snapped his attention over to me. I saw him raise his eyebrows before he let out a forced laugh.

"Too long." He muttered as he took another swig of beer. I smiled at him slightly before wrapping my arms around my big brothers waist. He smelled slightly of beer, but I didn't mind.

"Please don't hurt her." I whispered to him lowly. I saw George grin before replying.

"No promises." He replied with a light chuckle, yet the problem was, I wasn't sure if he was joking or not.

"If you hurt her, she'll hurt you even more." Was all I said before I made my way over to my drunk brother and best friend and roughly pulling them apart.

"Come on Nicki, we've got to get some sleep." I said as I heaved my best friend up to my room. Five minutes later I made it to my room with Nicole mumbling the whole way about how hot my brothers were.

I smiled slightly and flopped us both on my bed. We sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes, before Nicole let out a sigh.

"How come you never told me about the baby? And Kyle?" Nicole asked curiously.

"I don't know to be completely honest. Nobody else knew, apart from Kyle, Ajax and me. I guess I just wanted to keep it on the down low, it was my own little secret and I wanted to keep it that way." I said with a small frown.

"You know, if there's anything you need to say, you can tell me. I don't care what it is, you can tell me." Nicole said as she hugged me gently.

"I know, and I will. You're my best friend, I tell you everything." I replied as I hugged her back. I saw her smile happily before we pulled away from each other.

"Are you excited for tomorrow? You're getting married." Nicole squealed excitedly. I laughed at her, the alcohol was still getting to her.

"Yeah, I guess I am pretty excited. It's not every day you get married." I said with a small smile. But Nicole, being my best friend, could see right through my lie.

"No matter what happens, you'll always have me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, Adriana's getting married in the next chapter!!! I'm so excited it's crazy.

This book has changed so drastically, I never thought it would get this far!! I'm so proud of this book, yet it still needs to be majorly edited as some parts are quite confusing :/ but hey, that can all be done after the book's finished, which is coming pretty soon!!

Tell me what you think please.

Vote, comment and fan xxx