Nine - Lisa

"Do we have to record this?" I asked, sitting down across from the female in front of me, her eyes looking like she was hiding a secret that we couldn't find out at the moment.

Smiling, she shrugged me off, "Oh calm down, it'll be fine. Let's start by your name. I don't think we've officially met."

"Lisa," I said to her. She nodded.

"I'm Brittney," she said, "I was a congressman before the apocalypse hit. What were you, Lisa?"

The sound of her voice made me want to cringe, just the way she spoke to me like it was some job interview. I didn't want to trust her.

"I was an actress and advocate," I said, raising my eyebrow to her.

She smiled, staying silent for a minute and then tilting her head. "How long have you been with Luna's group? How did they find you?" She asked. I flinched a bit, thinking of what happened but narrowed my eyes nevertheless, staying quiet.

"We were trying to get supplies," I said, crossing my arms, "Luna and Echo found us and took us in."

"Echo?" She asked.

The mere mention of her name made a jolt of anger run through my body, how she left us with no words. "She's missing," I said.

"Missing or dead?" Brittney asked.

"Missing, she's out there. We just haven't found her." Brittney looked to me, glazing her eyes over me for a second before she smiled.

"So, being an actress, you don't have any. . . main skills beside the fine arts department. You keep people happy," she said.

"Why should the people need someone to be happy?" I asked, leaning forward and narrowing my eyes on her figure.

"I'm just trying to see what you're good at, I'm curious." She said.

"What are you asking? If I can't split a walker's head in two? Cause I can. I can hold my own, we all can here. Just 'cause I was an actress doesn't mean I can't protect people. If I couldn't, I'd be dead already. You should know that, or maybe you wouldn't. After all, you've had the. . . privilege to relax behind these walls your entire life. We didn't."

She fell silent and changed the subject, chasing her eyes to follow my own, "do you think you have any weaknesses here? Perhaps a child, or someone in the group you care most about?" She asked.

I scoffed at her question, though my voice felt like razors every time I tried to open it to correct her that everyone has weaknesses.

I focused my vision on her and then sighed, "We all do. You do, too. Luna has her boyfriend, those two are the leaders, they've been together since Caleb was alive. My girlfriend is out there, and her little sister. They're my family. But I don't think that's a weakness. 'Cause I'll do anything in my power to make sure they're safe, and I know everyone else will too. That's not weakness. That's survival."