Thirty-Nine - Lisa

"Alright, Bella," Lynne said, pulling her close to us as she stood by my side, "I wanna tell you something."

She giggled, shaking her head, "What?" She asked, "Come on, Lynne. I wanna go hang out with Maddie and Mason."

"Oh, I just thought you'd wanna show Lisa what Hide and Seek is. But if you wanna play with Maddie and Mason, I guess you should just go."

Her eyes went wide, "Lisa doesn't know what Hide and Seek is?"

I turned to her with the "What are you talking about?" face. I knew what she was doing, but I had played Hide and Seek about a hundred times before.

"Yep! Never played. And you're the master, y'know. Do you wanna show her how to play?"

Bella rolled her eyes, but nodded anyway. "Sure. Then can I go to Maddie and Mason's?" She asked.

Lynne sighed, "Come on, Bella. Live a little. Hang out with your big sister."

She sighed, "So basically what you do," she said, ignoring Lynne, "is hide or seek. If you're hiding, you have to try to find a good spot so that the person who is trying to find you can't find you. If you're seeking, you're doing the opposite. You have to find them quickly."

I pretended to listen attentively, "Alright. That sounds simple enough." I said with a smile, "How about Lynne seeks first, then?"

Her eyes flickered to Lynne, who nodded and put her hands up. "I'll do it. You two hide, and then we'll switch up."

The second Lynne turned around to count inside of the bathroom, Bella grabbed my hand and pulled me in the other direction. "I know the secret hiding spot," she said, her voice softer and less sharp than what it was before. I followed her, letting out a small laugh of amusement. Her combed hair was resting over her shoulders and her back, yet before she was so nonchalant and indifferent about her mangled mane, letting it trace over her face without a care in the world. She didn't care about how she looked, or if people liked her. She didn't care about anything like that, back when she was little. Back when I first met her.

She was a beautiful girl with a bright personality, hugging her sister and asking Caleb and Jinxx to play with her and her dolls all the time. She spent her time telling Mark she needed to look like a princess, so he put bows in her hair. She worked with Luna in the kitchen to make food and dinner for us, even though she had no idea how to cook correctly. But now her dolls were lost in the woods, her bows were burned, she skipped dinner on the daily, and she forgot that her sister even existed.

She was a perfect kid. But she wasn't a kid anymore.

"Alright, so you gotta be really quiet. But this is the absolute best hiding spot." Bella said with a little smile, bringing me behind the sofa and kneeling down. We had to move it a bit, so that we could fit without problem or alerting Lynne where we were, but once we did, a light sparked in Bella's face - of pure joy and admiration.

She wasn't a kid anymore, but she would always be my little girl.