Thirteen - Lynne

I ran a hand through my hair as Bella walked out and took a glance over to me, her eyes red and her face cold and meaningless.

"Are you okay?" I asked, flickering my vision to her pupils and then breaking it down to the ground when she didn't give me a response. "Bella, I'm--."

"What? Sorry? You said that already." She replied coldly.

I opened my mouth to speak back to her, but she turned away from me and ignored everything that came out before I had the chance to.

Sooner than later Lucas and some girl who I had learned was named Gracelynn took Bella, Lisa, and I to our own house.

This new place seemed too good to be true, like there was some sort of 'gatcha!' or downfall that would result in all of us living there.

Maybe it was the fact nobody knew a damn thing about a walker out there or perhaps we were just too skeptical to believe that they'd actually let us stay without a price.

As we walked through the house, my hands traced over the wall. It looked similar to a house I had, back before the world crashed. I liked where I lived. My mother, father, Alex, Bella, Lillisa, Lukas, and I.

They were perfect. We were perfect.

Bella looked around, smiling a small bit, only to have it fall when she met her gaze back up. For the first time in forever, we had mirrors and hot water and stuff that made it feel like we weren't fighting for survival every day and night.

For once, I felt alive.

A smile inched itself on my face and before I knew it was actually laughing gently from how unexpected and insane life was holding up.

Though it didn't last long, because just as I was about to open my mouth to speak about how beautiful the new house was, Bella was already walking outside.

I gripped her arm, stopping her where she stood, before she managed to leave the room. Lisa stood behind me, confused.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Why do you care?" She asked, hissing, as her eyes fell over and pierced into my own. I flickered my vision between both of her pupils, anger boiling inside of my chest.

"Bella, I wanted to save her. I just couldn't." I said, kneeling down to meet her height. I put a hand on her shoulder, "I know it hurts, okay? But--."

"No, Lynne! You don't understand. You did this to her. She wouldn't have convinced me to go outside if she wanted to be around you and Luna. Luna slapped her! She did this!"

"Bella, it's nobody's fault. Stop saying that." I scolded. She got ready to fume back at me, her mouth open to scream and her hands clenched.

Tears fell from her eyes as she looked to me, trying hard to keep her face as unreadable as she could.

For a second, anger held in her expressions, and then her bottom lip quivered as she wept quietly, pulling me into a hug.

"I miss her so much, Lynne. . ." She mumbled under her breath.

Silently, I hugged her back.

"I know, Belles, I know."