Nineteen - Lisa

I looked to Lynne and Bella as we sat with one of the families in the community. Her name was Clarisia, and she had two kids, Ryan and Emily. They seemed sweet.

Claire grinned as she handed us a plate of cookies. "Being out there - it must be so crazy. I don't even let Ryan and Emma out of my sight - and you guys just. . .live out there?"

Lynne smiled, "Yeah, I guess," she said, "have you guys. . . been here since the outbreak?" She asked. Claire nodded.

"Yep. We were lucky when we found it. My mother found it. She's a sma--or, was a smart woman." She quickly corrected

"She died?" I asked nonchalantly. Claire shrugged.

"I don't know. The council took her out for a walk and she never came back. I'm guessing something bad happened."

"Did you try talking to them?" Lynne asked. Emma groaned.

"No, she didn't. The old hag died 'bout a year ago. People die around here. It just happens," she interrupted.a

"Emily Lillian!" Claire screamed, and then coughed as she cleared her voice. "She misses her too, please excuse her."

"Like Hell I do. The woman wouldn't let me eat ice cream. For all I care, she could be in this damn meat we're eating and I'd feast." She said.

It fell silent, and Lynne and Bella adjusted their vision so they were staring at me.

"Claire - I heard that you work in the infirmary, is that true?" Lynne asked. Claire nodded. "Cool, that means we'll work together." A smile actually graced the older woman's face.

"Maybe there you can teach me how you keep your youngest under control. I can't seem to tame my kids." She joked.

Lynne shook her head, "she's my sister. I guess she's always been . . . a little gem to me." Bella didn't look up from her plate of food.

"She's your sister? And how old is she?"

"Twelve," I replied as Lynne opened her mouth to speak. "She's pretty weak, but. . . we're teaching her."

Claire's face hardened. "Oh. . ." She said, and then turned to get more food.

"Is that bad?" Lynne asked immediately. Claire shook her head.

"No, not really. It's just. . . you ever been to Auschwitz?"

"The concentration camp?" Bella finally spoke.

Claire looked to Lynne and then to me, "They always took out the ones that were weak." She said, "but that's just a myth."

We were about to speak before she got another plate and placed it on the table. "Anyway," she said, "let's eat."