Epilogue

You can never quite be ready for death. You can never quite be ready for anything.

Sure, you can pretend you are. You can go to church and try to engross yourself in religion to believe that when somebody you love dies, they're going to a better place even though we have no certainty of it.

The only thing we are certain of is that they are no longer living. Not happier, not content, but gone.

We as humans are ironic creatures. We despise death yet we cut each other open like we're fruit. We are so powerful yet we diminish ourselves into such weak creatures, unable to resist murder or rape.

After the end of the world, though, all the irony comes to a halt.

Because there's now no expectations. It's just survival. We can eat people if we're starving, and act weak if it means that it will dictate if our child lives another day. No longer is there any judgment or worry.

Yet, somehow, we as humans have forgotten the line that crosses from anger to depression - and that is the line that few are content to walk.

That is the line of preparation, of anxiety and worry that makes us human after something tragic happens. After we come so far that we have nothing left to prove, even if that means cutting people open instead of looking in the mirrors and seeing our emotions.

I've walked that line before., and even if you may never think that you will have to get to its point, hard reality is it's inevitable.

You can't stop the inevitable.