Twenty-Seven - Lynne

The night came faster than expected, and before I knew it - I was sitting down on the steps with Bella asleep on my lap.

She had fallen asleep about thirty minutes before, but I decided not to wake her up until we needed to go inside. Since she looked so damn peaceful, with her hair spewed over her face and her delicate smile shining through the air, even in slumber.

I loved her - she was my baby girl. She would always be my baby girl.

It was when I heard commotion that I looked up and ended up waking her. She woke up in a haze, glacing to me and then to the dark opening, where Miller walked in with his friends by his side.

I cocked an eyebrow, standing up and letting Bella walk beside me. I looked to Mark as he walked out of the house, chasing to catch up with me. "Are they back?" He asked.

I nodded, "Yeah, I think so," I answered, hurrying to meet up with the group but stopping the second I noticed Miller's anxious expression and the fact Lisa and Luna weren't behind him.

I looked between the group members, my face slowly glazing over with fear. "Miller?" I asked, taking a step forward.

He stopped his conversation with Blake and turned to me, his expression somber and emotionless. "Where's Lisa?" I asked, "Where's Luna?"

His eyes fell to the floor before meeting mine, and I could feel the depression sink into my chest from the way he dodged my question with such adversity, his face resembling tranquility but his mouth parting to tell me, "I'm sorry."

Everything fell into slow motion.

My heart stopped in my chest, my veins turning into ice and my eyes turning into glossed over marbles. In the corner of my eye, I could see Mark starting to scream, asking Miller how it happened - if he was sure.

Miller couldn't come up with more than a few words, saying, "There were walkers. . ." "Too many . . .", and "I'm so sorry. . ."

I fell to the floor unwillingly, screaming into my hands as tears rushed out of my eyes and fell to my cheeks. My heart ached in my ribcage, feeling what seemed like blood to escape my throat as I let out the gentle cries of the fact I had lost the love of my life and my best friend.

My shaking foundation found the delicate whisper as I breathed out, "This can't be happening. . ." while out of the corner of my eye, I could see Mark get up and hit Miller straight in the face, his face plush and anger radiating off of his body.

My stomach withered inside of my body, my chest scurrying for air as Bella gripped onto my shirt, pulling it. "Lynne! Th-They're not dead, are they?" She asked, her voice small and delicate, "Lynne! We gotta go do something! They're not dead, r-right? Why aren't they here?"

Frost hit my tongue as I tried to speak to her, but did no effort more than just sit there on my knees, my heart shattering with each second that passed, and my eyes glazing over like newfound glass. The cool air hit my exposed arms like the warmth I would never have again. The warmth that I'd never be able to give Lisa again. The moon shined effortlessly on us, like the one that Luna would never be able to see.

"Lynne. . . It's gonna be okay. . ." Stacy said, getting on her own knees to pull me into a hug, while Bella desperately tried to grab my attention.

"Lynne! They're not dead! T-Tell me they're not dead, please! We have to save them! I-I. . . Lynne! I want Lisa! I want Luna! We have to go find them!" She cried, tugging me on my arm as warm tears left her eyes and her face blushed red, Mark by my side being held back by Madelyn as his own tears fell.

"This can't be happening. . ." I repeated. "This can't be happening."