Twenty-One - Lynne

"You're gonna be just fine." I told the little girl who was sitting on the table in front of me, "it's just a cold."

"A cold? That's it?" The father asked as he held the young girl's hand. "She's been throwing up every day for a week."

"Trust me, she'll be just fine. Just let her lie down, relax, and, uh. . . if the council comes, don't tell them she's sick." I said.

"Lynne!" Clarisa yelled, sighing, "just go home, get her to feel better. Okay?" The father nodded and grabbed his daughter's hand, walking out of the infirmary. Claire glared to me. "Are you trying to get us in trouble?" She asked.

"What?" I asked, "I'm just helping them out. . ."

"If the council hears what you said to that family, you're screwed." She warned, "you can't be doing that."

"Well tell me, then, tell me about the council." I said, sitting down on one of the chairs, raising an eyebrow.

She rolled her eyes, "What's there to tell? Why are you so obsessed with them anyway?" She asked.

I shrugged, "I don't know, it's just. . . weird. You know?" I asked. Nodding, Claire crossed her legs. "Like, you don't wonder what happened at all? Not after seeing your mother get captured and probably killed?"

"No," she nonchalantly sung, "I worry about my job. The council just takes them out and some unfortunate things happen. It's not their fault."

"You're kidding me," I said.

"Hey, I know you guys live out there, but here - it's dangerous. And I'm trying to look out for you, because I like you, Lynne. So stay the fuck away from the council, cause you'll be the next one to die."

"She doesn't care anyway," a small voice let out, "I know she doesn't. She never cared about anyone in her group." I looked behind me to see Bella, who was standing against the doorframe with her arms crossed. Claire coughed nervously, averting her gaze.

"Bella, are you sick?" I asked, standing up with my back to her and going to grab a bandaid. She scoffed.

"No. Not like it would matter anyway." She said.. "You don't save family."

"Stop being a brat," I demanded, glaring at her. She fell silent, but then opened her mouth again before I interrupted her. "Laurel's dead, and I'm sorry, but I did everything I could. Now why are you interrupting me while I'm working? Shouldn't you be at school?"

"You didn't try to save her, you just did what you were told to do. Only Luna cared about Laurel, not you."

"I did what I could, Bella. Why can't you understand that?" I asked, confused as to why she showed up randomly.

"I want to give this new person an insight on who you really are," she growled, "go on - tell her that you killed my girlfriend."

"I didn't, Bella!" I screamed, "Jeez. Sometimes, you need to--."

"What? What do I need? Tell me, Lynne. What do you really think?"

"I think you need to get out of here! We'll discuss this later! Okay?"

"I'm not leaving! Not like you fucking care anyway! You don't even care about me enough to tell me how you really feel. You lied to me! You swore you wouldn't let anything happen to her! What do you think--?"

"I think that you should've died instead of mom!" I screamed suddenly, growling as I turned my head to see her petrified look, "You're a spoiled brat! We all lost people! All of us! And I sacrificed everything for you, and you're ungrateful! I wish you would've died instead of our mother because at least I actually loved her!"

Bella fell silent as tears welled in her eyes, her dark aura tingling. I opened my mouth to speak before she ran off, turning out of the infirmary back to our house. As I turned around with tears in my own eyes, I saw Claire's confused and fearful look.

"I didn't mean to say that," I breathed out, tears running down my face as she put a hand delicately on my shoulder.