Forty-One - Lynne

I used to tell Bella a story.

It was a story that my mother had told my father, and my father had told his kids back when we were first born. Lillisa, Lukas, Alex, Bella, and I all heard the story - it was something like a tradition in our family.

In the beginning of time, there were two lovely souls - a beautiful maiden named Sol and a man named Lumen.

Nobody knows where the two souls came from, they just say that they showed up in thin air - one full of a redish and orangish tint that crossed her eyes and one with a dark aura that cuddled him at night.

They showed up on different sides of the universe - each kept back by some mysterious force.

Sol, the maiden, spent her time in the universe helping others. She lit up their world with her sweet and gentle voice, her intriguing smile.

From across the galaxy, Lumen fell in love.

He would engross himself in her life--thinking of different ways he would want to place himself with her, but to no avail - as every time he would speak with her, she'd continue to keep her eyes out on other men.

He ended up falling into a pit of darkness--of solitude and loneliness, laced together with depression. His heart began to turn into nothingness. He had no reason to be happy, or to smile anymore.

What was left of him began to leave like flower blossoms.

Every time, however, he saw Sol, he smiled. He pointed to the always white sky and they would smile as clouds coated it.

"Something's missing from it..." Sol would whisper to Lumen without realizing that he was glancing to her with tears in his eyes.

As time progressed, Sol and Lumen became closer. With care in his hands, he'd make sure to look out for Sol every turn he got - because every time she cried, the sky would get darker for him - he would get more and more lost in his mind.

He kept a smile for Sol though.

Lumen became dark and quiet. His presence had turned into an absence rather than consistency. He had disappeared, so everyone thought.

Sol was energetic and excited all the time, never losing the glint that was owned when she was first born.

She ended up falling in love with a man named caelum.

Lumen could do nothing more than stare with teary eyes as she fell into his hands and he held her tight.

The beautiful maiden he had fallen in love with had disappeared out of his grasp just as quickly as she entered his life.

Her voice became a thorn in his chest. Her hand became a hot piece of metal against his white, cold skin. Her brightness had no longer lit up his dark and devastating sky.

He was alone.

Lumen closed himself off with silence and solitary so he would never become hurt again by the fair maiden.

And as Sol died in peace with her husband wrapped around her waist, Lumen died in quietness. His only friend, stellae, next to him.

God reached down and helped these two figures up as they perished. Sol, the beautiful maiden, was given praise for the actions that she did while on Earth and the help she's caused.

In return, he made her the sun. So she could look after people for all eternity and light up the sky with her love. He turned her husband, Caelum, into the sky.

And for punishment for having a depressing and sad life, he turned Lumen into the moon and his friend Stellae into the stars.

Now, they say that you can still see Sol as she resides in the sky with her husband, full of happiness and joy, the only time she cries when she sees something sad.

Now they say you can see Lumen, in the darkness that Sol pushed him into, still wanting to protect Sol as she sleeps. He stays up at night so she doesn't have to.

But sometimes, you can still hear Lumen cry to the stars and to the world, begging God to forgive him for what's he's done. Sometimes you can hear him cry for Sol, his love that was never his.