Forty-Seven - Lynne

You can't stop the inevitable.

That's what I've been told my whole life

When I was little, I believed it. I had lost my whole family except for Bella and if I didn't believe it I'd go insane.

My older brother died of cancer two years before the outbreak. My sister killed herself after it. My mother died in the hospital after having Bella. My father turned into what we feared most and tried to, like those monsters out there, kill us. My twin sister - she went missing right after he turned into a walker.

Bella is all I have.

Bella was all I had.

It was inevitable to stop her death, and I guess I started to think I could before I finally accepted it. But it's been three weeks now, and it's finally sunk in that you can't stop the inevitable.

I found that out through secrets and vendettas, through lies and promises and deaths. I found out through teary eyes and cold sobs into thin air. I found that - like everything - life is inevitable. And, ironically, so is death. It always has been and it always will be, even if we don't like it.

Sometimes, we tend to forget that. We pretend that we won't die, that we will live forever. We act that as if we don't love anyone, nobody's death will hurt us. But there will always be something inside the corner, something inevitable, that will break us and show us what we fear most - the truth. I still don't like the truth.

I sat down on the side of my bed, twirling the phone that Echo had given Bella so long ago in my right hand.

It was cold, but somehow I still felt her warmth on it. Like it was a glowing symbolization of where she was. I could hear her giggles and feel her legs on my shoulders as I put her on my back to explore what it's like to be tall.

I sat there for a long time, tears crossing my eyes and falling onto the phone. At first, Lisa was there, holding me tight and promising it was going to be okay. But when Madelyn called her, she had to leave.

I knew she had to - I never held it against her.

I never would, anyway.

After a while, I jumped at the sound of the phone ringing, vibrating in my hand and lighting up. I was both surprised and intrigued at once - my tears halting as I flickered my vision to the different buttons.

UNKNOWN CALLER was printed upon in big letters, a small bar on the corner of the cell phone glistening.

The charging status which I had always assumed to be on 0% was at a staggering 25. I was terrified, yet so heartbroken and concerned that I placed my index finger gently on the accept button and put it to my ear.

For a second, there was silence.

And then I heard a voice.

My heart stopped in my ribcage, my body freezing and tensing up as I looked at the phone in surprise.

"You?"