New Big brother

Anna opened her eyes but hissed before closing them again. Bright light shome down on her eyes. They stung. Bad. It felt like something was stabbing into her eyes. Her lids pressed tightly against her cheeks. 

After adjusting to the light Anna opened her eyes. There was nothing there. Only smashed bricks and ash raining from the sky. What she saw comforted her, but terrified her. On her back were bat-like wings. Instead of feathers like her normal wings, her skin was charred and stretched over the boney wings. Her wings looked like burning coal. Black with red speckle-like embers.

Angraloth. She thought to herself. It was a comfort to know he was still with her even if he wasn't physically with her at the moment. That's right. Now that she was freed from her captors she could live happily with him. 

That should have been a happy thought, but instead it made her heart run cold. She had killed them; taken their lives. They treated her horribly, but the taking of another's life was sacred. She had snuffed out the light from people's eyes enough times to know that it was wrong.

Twigs snapped and leaves crunched from behind her. Anna closed her eyes before looking up at the sky.

"Are you here to kill me like I did to them?" She asked in an uneven voice. Three years of her life were spent struggling to survive only for it to end here. To be honest Anna was tired of fighting. Freedom may be in her reach, but for some reason that scared her more than anything.

"No" a sad voice replied. Anna turned around slowly and found a man standing behind her. He had black hair and black eyes. He wore only black and white. His expression was pained with tortured eyes looking forwards.

The mysterious man began to walk away, but Anna called out to him.

"What's your name?" She asked quietly.

"Zeref" he answered. Anna stood up, and walked towards him slowly. Zeref stepped back with a frightened look in his face. Ignoring the mans shouts Anna ran up to him and hugged him. Her face was buried into his legs and she cried her heart out. 

Zeref felt a small warmth in his heart and immediately tried to push her away. She gripped onto him with her life despite him trying to  push her off. Black surrounded the pair and Zeref felt his face drop. The girl was dead. Just like everyone else. He felt the small arms wrapped around his waist weaken.

The black finally cleared and he couldn't bare to the at the girls body. Everything around them was dead.

"Woah! What was that? Like some kind of weird mist?" A voice called. It was tired yet seemed amazed. Zeref's eyes widened.

"Hey big brother... can I call you that?" the younger girl asked. Zeref began to chuckle before laughing while holding his stomach. Anna tilted her head and gave him a curious look. Before murmuring under her breath how weird he was.

Zeref kneeled down so he was face to face with Anna. He rested a hand on her head. She flinched away from his touch and closed her only open eye. When a warm hand began to pet her head she opened her eye and looked at the man in wonder. He wasn't going to hurt her?

"What happened here?" He asked softly. Tears pushed at the backs of Anna's eye, but she held them back. Her expression was unreadable.

"It collapsed" She spoke quietly as if she was scared to make any noise. Zeref knew she was lying, but didn't feel the need to push the girl. The way she acted- like a scared deer- reminded the wizard of himself a long time ago. She looked conflicted but nodded to herself before taking Zeref's hand.

Zeref looked at their entwined hands. She looked away bashfully with a small blush on her face. She was enjoying human warmth for the first time in three years. Zeref promised himself that he would protect this girl and they began their journey. It would be nice to travel with someone again. This was the second person he met that was special. They were immune to his curse.