18. Pothead

The next day we packed, mom only agreed to let us go a day early if we promised to call her with any gossip we knew, just to keep her involved in our lives.

The whole ride home was silence. Paul understood I didn't want to talk about anything that happened at the party and decided that he'd drive home. My phone kept going off and knowing it was Reggie I turned it off, if anyone else needed me they had Paul's number, eventually I broke the silence. "I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. I mean I know I never liked Veronica mainly because she's a rich girl who uses daddy's money to her advantage but the things that went on. Toni wasn't even wearing a cut and she was alone and everyone still advanced on her like that." Paul grabs my hand rubbing it slowly. "Babe it'll blow over soon, from what I've seen they're just preppy people who don't like outsiders." "That's the thing though the serpents and everyone on the Southside actually know what's going on in the town, while the Northside preps don't even know what's happening under their noses. Shit half of them are doped up most of the time. I'd know." Paul gives me a look. With a sigh I explain. "I know I've never told you.... I use to be this huge pothead I guess. It's died down especially since moving to forks, but in Riverdale I was this huge party girl, I never really fully fit in with either the Northside or the Southside. You go to the Southside and I'm this badass who survived this disaster and that's all I'm really known for besides unless someone needs an alibi or me to hide something for them. On the Northside I'm a sports girl, party girl, popular. I couldn't be both people I had to be one or the other depending on who I was with. Toni's the only one who understands not any of my other friends."

We let the silence take over before Paul speaks up. "Now you have to let me see you smoke. Never been one to mind it I guess just didn't expect it from a Swan."
I roll my eyes at his statement. "Because my dad is a cop and Bella is Bella right?" "Yup" he says without taking his eyes off the road.

As Paul drives I look out the window watching the scenery go by, eventually Paul turns on the radio because of his hate for silence, this time I don't mind. Before we know it were singing the songs at the top of our lungs and about to get into forks. Instead of taking me home Paul drives to Emily's knowing everyone is there. When we get there we both hop out and before I know it I'm being tackled by Kim and Emily. "HOW DARE YOU LEAVE US ALONE WITH THESE ANIMALS!" I can't help but laugh at them, knowing they can be a handful when they want to even if Paul wasn't with them. They both help me up still not letting go of me before Sam walks up to us. "You guys are back early." "Yeah there was drama I didn't feel like dealing with. I yelled at everyone and left. But Paul did meet my mom, so we did what we went there for."

Everyone shrugs in understanding, we all walk inside Kim and Emily still refusing to let me go. The rest of the day we sit and laugh Jared eventually pulls out card and board games. After a couple games I decide to go home. When I head inside dad's heading up to his room to sleep, I know Bella's already in her room, so I head to my room throw my stuff in the corner and head to bed for school tomorrow.