26. Rescue

The whole week was wonderful. I spent my birthday in LA. We obviously didn't spend the whole time in Disneyland, Paul took me around the city, we enjoyed doing touristy things. I even learned to surf, quickly getting the hang of it.

Now we're back home, the minute I arrived mom and dad both whisked me off. For the past couple of days they've taken me places I've wanted to go, mom took me on a shopping spree, dad took me out to eat. Now they're both taking me someplace, I'd know if my mom didn't blindfold me and continues to smack my hands away anytime I reach for it. When the car stops they both help me out. "Alright kid you ready?" "As long as something doesn't fly at my face I'm more ready than ever daddy-o" "She gets that sense of humor from you," mom says causing dad to scoff. "At least she got a sense of humor." Before dad can say something I cut in, "Are you lovebirds done arguing or do I gotta rip the blindfold off myself?" They both laugh as I feel moms smaller hands tug on the blindfold, I blink as the sun blinds me then I notice where we are, "Uh why are we at an animal shelter." "Because I know how much you love hot dog, and how much you've wanted a pet of your own so we both decided it's time to get you one." "Wait really?" "Yeah and I know you'd rather have one rescued then one from a store." I can't help the smile on my face as the let me walk in and pick my pet.

I walk through all the different sections, looking at the different animals. Most of the animals are either already adopted getting ready to go home or are unable to go home just yet. I find myself walking down the last section of the dog kennels, I spot a pitbull. I read her card as she climb out of her bed.

Luna
Very affectionate. Has a beautiful smile. Was brought in after being hit by a car, she was very malnourished and had to have a leg amputated. She needs a forever home where she'll be given constant attention, she's good with kids and older people but also loves to play and car rides. She can be protective of her owner when she senses danger.

I look back to the dog as she's sitting at the door of the kennel. She has the biggest smile on her face with her tail wagging happily. I bend down to her height, "Well Luna it looks like I may have your forever home, especially with that smile of yours, dad will definitely get you everything you want." I take her card to the front where mom and dad are waiting. "Well which one did you pick?" Mom asks. I show her and dad the picture on the card before handing it to the lady at the front desk. "A pitbull?" I smile up at dad, "Just wait till you meet her dad she's a sweetheart." 

Soon the same lady comes out with Luna right next to her. I kneel on the ground as she gets closer and she runs into my arms licking my face. When I stand up she sits staring at my mom and dad, the same way she stared at me in the kennel. "How can you say no to that face dad." Mom bends down to pet her, "Oh what happened to her leg." "She was hit by a car, but she's perfect anyways." Mom looks at me, "You always pick the broken ones who end up being perfect." I smile as dad makes his decision, "Alright she does have that smile, come on let's take her home." The lady hands me the leash and I practically skip to the car. My mom and dad follow with a bag of dog food. "Alright let's head to the pet store get her an actual collar and leash, some food and water bowls, toys all that stuff." "Admit it dad you like her." He grumbles as he starts the car and rolls down Luna's window for her to stick her head out, causing mom and I to laugh.

When we pull up to the pet store it's obvious Luna knows where we're at. I quickly grab her leash as we all climb out. I find a food and water bowl, a tub for her food, and an extra bag of food I lead her to the aisle where the leashes are. "Alright Luna which one do you want?" She quickly sits as if she was taking the time to decide. She suddenly gets up and starts pulling on a blue leash. Mom laughs as she grabs it, "Little lady knows what she wants." We all walk her to the toy aisle, dad leans down next to her and say, "Alright you can pick out 2 toys." She whines, "Alright 5." She wags her tail excitedly, and goes to pick out her toys. Dad follows her making suggestions as mom and I watch. "She already has your dad wrapped around her finger, but your dad's always wanted a dog too. Just didn't want to get one while you and Bella were small." I nod as dad comes back with an armful of toys, "Dad I thought you said 5." "She gave me that face," he says shrugging.

When we get back mom and dad take Luna's stuff inside as I take her to the backyard to get a feel of the place. She quickly runs around before bringing me a stick, I laugh "maybe later girl, let's get inside so I can show your your bed." She walks beside me as we head inside. Mom and dad are sitting on the couch, mom stands up, "alright her bowls are in the kitchen, toys are in your room with her bed. I gotta head back. Supposed to be having a meeting  on some issue Jug brought up." She kisses my head as she pets Luna. "Come on Luna let's go lay down." She follows me as dad asks, "Do you want anything special for dinner?" "No Emily wanted to have a dinner tonight since she couldn't on my birthday." Dad nods as he heads to order pizza.

I quickly shower and throw on some black ripped shorts since it's warmer out and a burgundy t-shirt. I throw my hair into a high ponytail and head to my room where Luna is laying on my bed. "I'm guessing you like my bed better then yours." I quickly find my shoes and grab her leash. When she sees I have her leash she's at my feet in a second. "Alright give me a second and we'll go," I laugh. I throw in some smaller hoop earrings and quickly attached the leash to Luna. I grab my phone and keys heading out, "Alright dad we'll be back later." He nods as i open the door.