46. Back Together

I smile from my spot in the kitchen watching my boys. Demetri has Paul sitting on the floor, both shirtless playing with trucks. I quickly finish putting Paul's sandwich together before  making mine. I grab an extra plate knowing Demetri won't eat his own sandwich if I made him one, but will pick off bits of ours. I grab two cans of sodas and a juice box before grabbing a bag of chips and balancing everything as I make my way to the living room. "Okay baby put your truck back in the box so we can eat lunch." Demetri nods before quickly putting his toys away. Thank God he listens so well. At times he can be tuff to get to follow directions but he's a kid so I can't get mad. Paul grabs the plates and sets them on the coffee table as I set the drinks down. Demetri drags over his cushion to sit on so he's not standing at the coffee table. I put chips on his plate and feed him bites from my sandwich. When he doesn't want any of mine he takes bites from Paul's until he's full. Paul grabs the dishes when we finish as my phone goes off.

Derek: Hey, I have a business proposal
Rosie: Shoot
Derek: So you know how I've taken up the whole songwriting? I just got an offer to take part in a festival. It'll be in town but it's over the summer. They want my music, I told them I'd think about it, but I want you to sing them. Obviously we're already known from the band so we'd already have a fan base, but this could get the band back together.
Rosie: I'll think about it.

I set my phone down and watch Demetri go through his toys searching for his favorite toy. "What's going on in your pretty little head?" Paul says as he sits next to me snapping me out of thought, "Hmm." He puts his arm around my shoulders, "You looked like Jared when Claire makes him do a puzzle." I smile at his comparison, "Please I wasn't thinking that hard." He chuckles before pulling me close so my head is resting on his chest. "Derek wants me to perform his songs at the summer festival coming up. And possibly get the band back together." Paul gets quiet before saying, "Do it. I can feel how much you miss it. I can hear it in your voice when you sing in the shower or sing along to the Disney movies with Dem. It's just for the summer. If the band does get back together than you'll get the support you need." "You really think I should." He nods, "You love it babe. Yeah you're going to school but you can take those classes online. And I know you'll always try to be there for Demetri. But you know that when he gets older and he finds out you didn't try to become a rockstar he'd be so disappointed. Because a rockstar mom is what every little boy dreams of. And it'd give us the money to find a house so he can stop leaving his toy box in the living room." I smile as Paul tries to reassure me before Demetri comes up to us shoving toys in our hands.

When dinner time comes around I call Derek back agreeing on the festival. We both agree on meeting at his house to record some of his songs in his personal studio. I head back into the living room and find Demetri with pizza sauce all over his face. I grab a napkin and quickly wipe his face, "Do you want to see grandpa and Sue tomorrow?" He smiles before shouting "Sue!" "I'm guessing that's a yes." I laugh at his excitement to see my technical step mom. My dad hates how much he prefers Sue, but I know it's because she can cook. This boy is exactly like his father. All you have to do is make him a meal and you have his heart.

I wake up alone in bed. I stretch out remembering Paul had an early patrol then has to help Billy with something. I climb out of bed and head to Demetris' room. I open the door and see him sitting on his bed rubbing his eyes. "Hey baby, let's get ready." I help him out of bed and grab a hair of cargo shorts. I let him pick out his shirt before finding a pair of shoes. "Alright buddy, go play with Luna while mommy takes a shower." He nods before running into the living room where Luna sleeps. I quickly grab a pair of white ripped shorts and a comfy blue t-shirt and shower leaving the door open enough for me to hear if something happens. I quickly dry off and brush my hair out. "Come on baby, let's brush your teeth." I hear his little feet run into the bathroom. I help him onto the counter, sitting him next to the sink. I grab his tooth brush, getting it set I put a little bit of toothpaste on it. We both brush our teeth before I help him down. I slip on some sandals before grabbing my bag. "Get your backpack so we can go to Grandpa's." He grabs his blue backpack Emily bought him, with some toys in it before following me out the door. I buckle him into his seat in the Jeep before climbing in and taking off.