44. He's here

The months seem to fly by. I turned 18 and am currently in my 36th week. Emily gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named  Monica a month ago and still had the energy to throw me a baby shower. Of course it wasn't a typical baby shower more like a barbecue all the boys were there too. Emily made them all participate in baby games.

I've been sleeping at Paul's house. There's no stairs I have to walk up just to get to the front door. Ever since I hit the middle of my third trimester it's been harder to walk up stairs. I feel pain when I move too fast. My mom says everything is fine and I'm just experiencing the same pain she was feeling her entire pregnancy with me. I try and spend as much time at my dad's house as I can. He loves being around to feel the baby kick and watching the little movements he does when we're watching baseball. Paul loves it too. My dad treats him like his own. I can see how happy it makes Paul to feel like he belongs especially with a father figure finally in his life. They both say they can see the baby move when I laugh. I started school, online classes but I started.

We're currently at my dad's. Sue started having a dinner once a week. We just finished eating. I've been feeling random sharp pains. I've been thinking it's just the baby kicking harder than usual. I slowly get off the armchair I've been sitting in and head to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I grab a cup from the cupboard but before I can get to the sink to fill I get the sharpest pain causing me to drop the cup and bend over in pain. I grip the counter to prevent myself from falling, before I know it my dad and Paul are standing on either side of me asking what's wrong. "She's going into labor." Sue says pushing them out of the way, "No it's early." She gently grabs my face, "Rosie I know you're not ready, but this baby is. Okay you're going to squeeze Paul's hand anytime you feel pain. Squeeze it as hard as you need to. You're father will call your mom when we get to the hospital. Your water hasn't broken yet so that's a good thing." My dad and Paul help me into my dad's car while Leah grabs my hospital bag. Sue, Seth and Leah follow in Paul's car knowing he'll stay with me until I'm discharged. I groan Everytime my dad hits a bump, Paul winces every time I squeeze his hand. Paul kisses the side of my head before whispering, "Carlisle's at the hospital, Seth texted him telling him we're coming so he could set up the room." I nod as he pushes my hair back wiping off my sweat in the process. When my dad reaches the parking lot the door swings open and I feel cold hands help pull me out of the backseat before warm hands replace them. I open my eyes and see Carlisle pushing the wheelchair I'm now sitting in down hallways at a fast pace. He gives me a smile, "Looks like little wolf couldn't wait." I smile. "Apparently he's as impatient as his dad." Carlisle chuckles before pushing me into a room. Him and Paul help me into a bed before Carlisle starts attaching IVs, "I'm not the delivering doctor but she knows you're here. The nurses will be up soon to help you change into a gown and check how far you're dilated, if you want an epidural let them know and they can help you with anything else you may need." I nod before saying thank you.

Paul and a nurse help me change into a gown before letting me sit back in the bed. He hasn't left the room once. "Alright kiddo your mom's on her way, the drive takes about four hours but knowing her she'll be here in two. How are you feeling?" "Like a demons eating me from the inside out." My dad chuckles, "Just like your mom." A nurse walks in and checks my chart. "Since you're not dilated enough we'll wait on the epidural. But everything else looks good. If you feel comfortable try walking around, we can bring in an exercise ball for you to help break your water and speed up the process a little bit. Are their any requirements you have for the delivery room?" I nod, "My doctor already knows who I want in the room." I groan as a contraction hits causing Paul to groan as I squeeze his hand making my dad chuckle. "They get superhuman strength when they're in labor." "Is that why you won't hold my hand?" He laughs, "As much as I love you, I'm not letting you break my fingers."

After an hour I'm finally in active labor and have been given an epidural. "I think you broke my fingers, look they're crooked." "I'm in labor with your child who probably has your big head." He laughs. There's a knock at the door and we look to see the pack with Kim and Emily. They slowly come into the room finding a spot, "How's it going in here?" Jared asks causing me to glare at him." "Her dad asked her that when we got here. And she's broken my fingers in the process." "You did this to me." Everyone laughs. "Where's your dad?" "He went to call my mom and get ice."

The doctor comes in to check how far dilated I am. "Almost ready guys. I'll come back every thirty minutes to check. You're getting close." As she leaves my mom and dad enter the room. "Look who I found speeding in the parking lot." "There's no speed limit in a parking lot." I smile at their banter as my mom walks to the side of my bed. She pushes my baby hairs back before asking, "How are you feeling?" Every guy in the room answers, "DONT ASK THAT!" She laughs before turning back to me "Are you ready?" "Is anyone ever ready?" She chuckles, "Do you know how far along you are?" I shrug, "7 centimeters. The doctor said she'll check again in thirty minutes since I haven't been here that long."

The doctor comes in to check a couple times. "Alright Rosie it looks like you're fully dilated. I'm going to need the people on the birthing list to put on gowns, gloves, and hair nets and everyone else to wait in the waiting room." The nurses start setting up as my mom and Paul follow another nurse to put on their gowns. My dad said he wants to be in the room but doesn't want to see me give birth. I told Paul he's not allowed to go past my waist and he agreed not wanting to see all the blood. Paul's the first one back and quickly starts calming me down, "Babe I know you're freaking out. I am too. Our son's almost here. After this you can relax and take a nap okay." I nod as he kisses my head. My mom grabs my other hand, "Baby you're doing it. After this the little thing will be here and you'll be able to hold him in your arms." "Alright Rosie I'm going to count down when I get to one I'm going to need you to start pushing. 3. 2. 1." I start pushing, after the fifth push I fall back onto the pillow taking deep breaths. My mom wipes the sweat off my face, "You're doing great baby." I look at Paul. "I hate you so much right now." I say between breaths, "Okay Rosie your babies head is halfway out, just one more push and he'll be here. Okay 3. 2. 1." I push with all my might before I feel a sense of relief and hear baby cries. Paul let's my hand go to cut the cord. I start crying as I feel pressure on my chest and realize it's my son. When I calm down the nurses take him to clean him off and run some tests, "Go with him." "You sure?" I nod and watch Paul leave with my son. I can feel more nurses cleaning me off but pay no mind, "You did great baby girl. When the doctors are done I'll help you to the bathroom to clean off before Paul comes back."

Thankfully I didn't need any stitches, my mom helps me take a quick cold shower to wash off any sweat or blood. When I finally make it to the bed Paul walks in with a nurse and a crib. "Demetri here passed all his tests and is perfectly healthy. He's free to go when you're discharged." The nurse leaves as Paul starts taking him out of the crib before handing him to me. Demetri looks around before locking eyes with me, "He's here." My mom pushes my wet hair out of my face, "He is and he's yours." I smile as I hand him to her to look at. "You're a cutie aren't you. You have your mommy's nose." I scoot over so Paul can sit with me on the bed, "You did it babe." When my mom's done gushing over him she hands him back, "Okay I'll go tell your father he's here."

We take the time to look him over and get used to him while we wait for everyone to come back. "He looks like you." Paul looks at the babies face, "He looks like a potato." I chuckle, the movement makes Demetri smile. "But he has your smile." We look up when the door opens, my dad is the first one to walk in. He stands next to me looking at the baby, "He has your nose." I smile, "Mom beat you to that one." I gently hand him Demetri before leaning into Paul. I can feel myself dose off as Paul rubs my back. I get sucked into the darkness called sleep with one though on my mind. He's finally here and he's perfect.