21. Heart Beat

I wake up from my dream in a cold sweat. I rub my face trying to get that dream out of my head. Maybe it's just because we're sisters and I worry about her, why else would I have a dream that Bella died? I mean I know shes been kind of depressed since Jacob can't hang out with her but if he told her he phased he'd be in trouble.

It's only been a month since the party and a week after Jacob finally phased as gag orders he can't be around Bella so whenever I'm around he always asks me how she's doing. Paul told me he likes to run around my house checking on her.

Sighing I get out of bed checking the time seeing it's only 4:15. I dont have to be up for another 3 hours. I change into some thermal leggings and a sweatshirt before tying my hair up, knowing Paul's on patrol I head out the side door in my room. I find Paul in the forest near my house. "Can't sleep, run with me?" He looks behind him in his wolf form to another wolf I recognize as Sam. Paul nods his head as he starts trotting next to me as I jog. We continue on our quiet run as we circle on a path when I can see my house Paul stops and growls. Before pushing me towards my house. I get the hint that he wants me to run home. And I run as fast as I can as Paul runs the other way. When I get inside I lock the door behind me. My chest heaving I slide down to the floor so I can catch my breath. I finally get up and take a shower.

I let my hair air-dry. Since I still have an hour before we have to leave. I put on my light blue jeans with a grey hoodie throwing on my black hightop converse. I grab a green tea from the fridge and sit on my bed. I drink my tea lost in thought until I hear a knock on my window causing me to jump. I see Paul standing outside when I open the door he pulls me into a hug and I know he's making sure I'm okay. I circle my arms around him and stick my face into his chest. He slowly walks forward so we're inside and closes the door with his foot. "What was that?" I mumbled into his chest knowing he can hear me. "Vampire. We don't know what she wants, we can't catch her, and we don't know why she keeps coming back."

Paul drove me to school and said he'll pick me up too, since he took my car I have no choice. Either way I have soccer tryouts after school anyways. But anyways the day goes by fast since it's a minimum day for some teacher meeting. The only homework I really get is a new music project. When the final bell rings I head to the locker room and change into some athletic leggings, a loose workout shirt, and my cleats. I shove all my stuff into an empty locker and quickly tie my hair up before heading to the field for tryouts. Tryouts go as expected we do the warm-ups and drills and get told we'll be told the following day who made the team. Even though it's freezing outside I still shower and change back into my regular clothes not wanting to feel stinky. The parking lot is empty except for the people in after school programs. I easily spot my car with Paul waiting in the driver's seat on his phone. I open the back door tossing all my stuff in before climbing into the front. "How'd it go?" "Like a regular sports try out. We find out tomorrow." He gives me a look. "Gee miss sarcasm I wanted to know how you felt about the tryouts." I laugh at his response. "Fine I feel like I did good and I'll be on the team happy?" "Very. Now let's get food I'm starving." "Tacos?" I say pulling out my puppy dog eyes. Paul groans, "Don't do that to me you know I can't say no." I pull him in for a kiss before whispering "tacos." Paul shrugs and starts the car before driving off to fulfill my wish.

When we get to the taco place we both order tacos rice and beans before we find a table to sit at while we wait for our food. Once seated we start talking about what we've dealt with today. "I get Jacob wants to see her and he still getting used to everything but he needs to stop whining about it, we've all dealt with it." "Paul leave him alone he's a love sick puppy, how's he doing learning everything though." "Okay I guess he has alpha genes so I guess it's pretty easy to learn everything." "Oh yeah, I forgot that, you think he'd ever try to become alpha?" Our food arrives so we quiet down until the waiter leaves. "I don't know it'd have to take something he hugely disagrees with Sam on." "I can see him going on his own. I have a feeling the pack will only get bigger and he'd break off, he just seems like the type to only be in a small pack." Paul shrugs, "Probably, anyways why were you up this morning?" "I don't know I had a dream about Bella dying and I couldn't fall back asleep, and then the whole vampire near my house didn't help." "So what you're saying is you could use a nap then?" Confused I say, "yessss?" "I've got a surprise but we gotta finish eating."

When we finally finish eating Paul starts driving and after 5 minutes he tells me to close my eyes. Doing so I fell the car come to a stop and Paul helps me out of the car. He leads me over gravel and soon smooth concrete before we stop and he opens a door and I can feel myself stepping on carpet. "Okay open your eyes." I slowly open, letting my eyes adjust to the light. I look around taking in the bare room we're in. I notice the boxes everywhere before I ask, "Where are we?" "Since I turn 18 next month I went to Billy like you said, as chief he's allowing me to move out on my own before I'm an actual adult and helped me find an apartment, since I get checks from the tribe I can easily cover the bills and food." "So it's yours?" "Yeah I just gotta finish unpacking everything but it's mine. I'm free from my dad." I pull Paul into a hug before I lean back. "I believe I was promised a nap." Paul laugh before picking me up causing me to wrap my legs around him as he walks towards the bedroom I stop him as we walk past two other doors, "What are those for?" "The first ones the bathroom, and the other is another bedroom." "Ohh." Paul continues walking before opening a door and throwing me on the bed causing me to erupt in giggles. We both kick off our shoes before Paul crawls onto the bed crawling above me to give me a kiss and pulling me into his arms for cuddles. I slowly fall asleep as he rubs my back listening to the heart beat that's in sync with my own.