38. Strange Heartbeat

It's been weeks since the Barbecue at Billy's. That day Billy called up that Matt guy and invited him over, saying he wanted to get to know him and apologize for Rachel. Matt's pretty cool I guess, he's quiet but no one really paid him any mind except Billy and Jake, everyone just treated him like a regular person, but when Rachel finally showed up she was livid and it was honestly really funny. Anyways Bella finally called Dad, he replayed the call saying she said she got a stomach bug. When dad fell asleep happy to know something about her whereabouts she called me. Told me not to worry, that's she's a little sick and she'd be back soon. That she's taking advantage of the married life and Edwards treating her to some of the best care centers.

So I'm home with Luna, Dad went to Billy's and Paul's on patrol. I head to the bathroom and take advantage of using the nice shower compared to the one downstairs. When I'm done I throw my hair into a messy bun and put on some folded jean shorts and a fitted gray shirt and slip on some sandals not wanting to be bare foot. I grab my laptop and head downstairs to finish a song I've been working on.

As I finish up I hear pounding on the door, I rush to open it as Jake storms in as I do. "WHEN WERE YOU GOING TO TELL ME SHE CALLED?" "How about we take a step back with the attitude. What are you even talking about?" He take a a breathe before talking through his teeth, "Charlie's at my house watching the game with my dad, he said that Bella called." "Ok, how's that your business? I get you guys were friends but if she wanted to talk to you she would've called you." I say not wanting to tell him about the personal call. "Charlie said she sounded sick, that has to mean she's hiding something." "Or she's actually sick, like half of the people who travel to a different country better yet one that had a jungle get some type of bug." "I DONT BELIEVE IT OKAY!" he takes a deep breath and continues, "I don't think she's sick, that something happened, now are you going with me to find out or not." I roll my eyes, "I guess someone has to stop you from doing something stupid." I grab my keys off the table, "But I'm driving, you're able to run in the woods but not everyone turns into wolves." The whole ride Jake is bouncing his leg when we pull up Carlisle is opening the door to fit himself through as Jake is rushing up I stop near the front of my car. I smile at Carlisle's politeness, "What can I do for you two?" "Cut the bullshit where is she?" I look at Jake, "Jake how about you cut your shit, you're the one being rude." He doesn't even look at me before we hear what sounds like Bella calling for him, causing him to push past Carlisle. I just stare at the door shocked, that didn't sound like she was okay at all. "How about you come inside as well." I walk slowly getting a pit in my stomach. As Carlisle leads me through the halls, "You can't tell anyone about what you see especially Charlie. Everything is Bella's decision." I stop, "What are you talking about? What's wrong?" Before Carlisle can answer me a pissed off Jake storms outside and phases before we hear him howl. Carlisle just leads me to the living room where everyone is. Esme greets me softly with a look of worry on her face, "How are you doing Rosie?" "Uh fine I guess." I look around Rosalie blocking my view of Bella who's sitting on the couch, while Edwards in the corner looking like he's thinking, everyone else either looks mad or worried. "What's going on? What's wrong with her?" No one answers my question as Rosalie moves and I see a very thin Bella, but before I can say anything she stands up revealing a very pregnant stomach that looks too heavy for her. I can't help but lose my words and just stare as the thoughts sworm around in my head. Everyone leaves until it's just Me Bella and Edward. "How did this happen?" Bella answers with a smile, "Rosie I'm pregnant." I look at Edward, "We didn't know this could happen. There's no study or anything about this for all we know this could be the first time this has ever happened." "It's killing her isn't it." "Rosie-" I turn to Bella, "I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to someone who actually has their head screwed on. Bella what are you thinking. Everyone can see that whatever this is, is killing you from the inside. Are you even thinking-" "Of course I'm thinking. This is my baby. Im thinking of him." "Him? Bella what about Me the person who was by your side during your depressed crisis, what about dad, how about the man you just married. What about everyone else in your life? But you'd give it up for something that is killing you." I stand up to leave, "So you're just going to leave." "Bella if you can decide to leave everyone else without even thinking yes. So what if you survive in the end, you'd most likely end up a vampire. I'd barely be in your life anyways." I walk down the hallways almost reaching the door before a hand reaches in front of me. I look up at Jasper with tears in my eyes, "Sorry if my emotions are everywhere." I say looking down, "Don't worry about it. But something's off. Your emotions are more enhanced. I can't put my finger on it." He gets quiet for a second before looking up as Carlisle flashes next to me. "I thought it was just Jake's weird heart but I can still hear it, and the emotions make me think-" "Make you think what Jasper?" I look at Jasper hoping to get an answer but Carlisle answers, "You might be pregnant."

Carlisle and Jasper lead me to a room set up with medical equipment, "I had this set up for Bella but it doesn't capture anything so we mainly use it to see if it breaks her ribs or anything of that sort." I nod as he sets everything up for me to sit down, "What if I'm not, then what would you do?" "I'd like to take some tests, if you are though then there's nothing to worry about." "Except for the fact I'd be a teen mom." Carlisle smiles as he spread the gel on my stomach, Jasper stands up like he heard something and leaves, leaving me in silence as I stare up at the ceiling. "Japser was right." I look at the screen seeing a little blob, "Would you like to hear the heartbeat." I nod unable to speak, I listen for a second before the heartbeat echoes around the room and before I can calm myself down I'm crying. Carlisle presses some buttons before helping me wipe off the gel and hands me some tissues to wipe my face. "Of course this is happening. Bella has to choose to die again, and I'm stuck in a conflicting position. Why can't I get a break?" "I'll leave you for a minute, when you're ready everyone will be in the living room."

I take the time to calm down and wash my face, I take a couple deep breaths before slowly walking back to the living room and standing in the doorway where Jake is talking to everyone. "He's willing to start a war over this." I try to listen in but everyone stops hearing me walk in. "What's going on?" I can feel myself calm down and nod to Jasper in thanks. "Jake told the pack about Bella, they think whatever it is, is dangerous." "They want to kill it." I stand in silence knowing Paul is siding with Sam, that's his brother after all, I really can't catch a break here can I? I can feel my emotion reach up my throat before Carlisle leads me outside, "Go, tell Paul before it's too late, no one expects you to pick a side." "But if I don't I'm a traitor, if I do I'm a traitor." "No you're not, you're just someone stuck between two people you love. Go tell Paul, and stay out of the situation. I promise that someone will inform you with updates, but if this is a war like Sam wants I advise you to stay on the side where you're safe." I nod and look down before Carlisle hands me an envelope. "I printed them for you. Go enjoy your news." I hold the envelope to my chest as I walk to my car. As I start the car I can hear the howls, the sad ones that sound like betrayal. I open the envelope looking at the pictures and hold them to my chest as I fight back the tears.