Chapter Five

Taehyung Focus (present)

I heard the door unlock and moved my head over in the direction of it. Was the one who put me in this hell hole back? It had been hours since I was locked into this closet and I was really thirsty. My throat was dry and my lips were cracked from years of being in the Savagetooth custody, and now I was with the Trijudongs. At least their cells aren't as hot. I thought, feeling goosebumps on my skin.

The door opened, letting in a ray of dim light that blinded me, given how long I was in the cell. "Dinner time." A voice said, and I heard a tray hit the floor as the door closed. Great. I thought. Not break time yet. I crawled over to the door and tried to make out what was on the tray, which wasn't much.

For the few days I had been held here, they tried to feed me this goopy shit that smelled disgusting. I decided I should starve myself so the gang couldn't use me if that was what they were planning to do. "What do they even need me for?" I thought out loud. I picked up my tray and walked toward the wall farthest from the door so no one could see me upon walking in.

I wasn't expecting the door to open while I did so, and when I dropped my tray next to the other ones, I turned around and jumped at the sight of someone. To my surprise, it was the gang leader. He saw me and walked in, closing the door behind him and turning on a lamp. I swallowed nervously as I stood in front of the numerous trays behind me. "Are you not eating?" He asked quietly. He didn't sound mad. He didn't look mad. I just shook where I stood, seeing how much taller the gang's leader was. "Answer me." He growled softly.

I nodded hesitantly and looked at the floor. At his shoes. The lamp was really bright, so my eyes hurt. "Why are you not eating?" He asked me scarily. I shivered. A moment passed and he then started to look angry. "Answer me, prisoner."

"I-I d-d-don't want t-to." I said, my voice quivering. I cursed under my breath at my stupid stutter. The leader set the lamp down on the ground. I drew in a breath as he walked over to me and I could feel my legs shaking uncontrollably. He grabbed my shirt and pushed me against a wall, getting so close I thought he was going to bite me.

"Look, prisoner," he growled. His breath smelled like mint and was warm against my cheek. It was a weird thing to think of, but living in a cold, dim, musty closet for a few days made me crave all the warmth I could get. "I don't know if you realize this yet, but you are an important hostage we need to keep alive. If you won't live willingly, then we'll only make you suffer."

I shivered, and Jungkook flinched. Did he flinch? I thought. I'm not even cold and I shivered, and this guy's not even scared of anything but he flinched. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked down at the floor. Well, I tried. Jungkook was pressed so close to me that the lowest I could see was the bottom of his shirt.

"W-What wi-will you d-do to m-me?" I asked Jungkook, pouting fearfully. He blinked a few times and shook his head. "I'll leave that to your imagination." He said scarily. "Just think about the worst pain you've felt and multiply it by the first number you think of." I blinked madly to keep the tears out of my eyes but ultimately failed. A couple tears slid down my cheeks.

Jungkook watched them fall and to my surprise, he wiped them away. This meeting felt scary but eerily intimate. "Don't waste your tears on me," Jungkook said quietly. "The worst for you is yet to come." He moved his face backward a little and I felt like I could breathe again. I saw something flash across Jungkook's eyes that I wasn't expecting from him. I wanted to speak up and say something about it, but I was too scared.

Jungkook let go of my shirt and moved his hand to the other side of my face. I decided it was worth the breath to say something. "You're scared." I said. Jungkook frowned. "What do you mean?" He asked, forgetting his scary demeanor. That was when I realized that the scary man in front of me wasn't that at all. "You're scared," I repeated. "You are afraid of something. And you know what I think?" I asked, suddenly feeling like I just conquered my fear and I leaded in close. If I could intimidate this gang leader a little, then maybe I had a better chance at surviving.

He frowned and opened his mouth to speak, but I stopped him. "I think you're scared of what you are becoming. How long have you been the leader?" I asked, putting on a, know it all face. Jungkook's face softened into confusion. "Not long..." He muttered, trying to figure out what I was doing. "That would explain it then," I said. "You don't know what kind of a person you're becoming. You're young and don't want your life to be thrown away, so you are afraid that whatever choices you make now will haunt you for the rest of your li-"

Jungkook's face suddenly became angry and he glared at me. "Shut up." He yelled. That's when I knew I wasn't wrong. "Don't do that! I know what you're doing." He shouted at me. His glare could sear holes through my face. I knew he wasn't as scary as he looked, but damn, he sure did look the part. I sank down to the floor and stared between his feet at the floor in surprise. At that moment, the door opened and someone walked in.

"Jungkook, you're needed at th-" The man at the door stopped. "I'll- I'll leave you alone." I felt a few more tears make their way down my cheeks and Jungkook knelt back down in front of me. Once again, he rubbed the tears off my cheeks and looked me right in the eyes before saying, "I told you. Don't waste your tears on me."

Then Jungkook stood up, picked up the lamp, and left the room, drowning me in darkness once again.

———————————————————————————

Word count is 1101

Sorry this seems to be going fast.