Chapter Eight

Jungkook Focus

I caught the elevator back down to the prisoner's floor. There was one prisoner we caught long ago who was skilled in being a medic. Very skilled. He could be the only way to save Jimin. Hopefully.

I walked to the closet we kept him in and I walked inside. Upon opening the door, a smell hit my nose and it smelled horrible. The worst part was, I knew that smell. Feeling dread and fear take over me, I walked further into the room and looked at the floor.

The prisoner was dead. He had shattered one of the dinner trays and stabbed himself with one of the shards.

These trays will need to be replaced. I thought. I walked out of the closet and closed the door, thankful for the somewhat fresh air in the hallway. I looked around and realized that one of the prisoner doors was open. Frowning, I checked inside the room and there was no one there. I went through all the prisoners' closets and all of them had a dead or dying hostage inside.

Oh no. I had thought. I ran as fast as I could to the one room with the hostage whose life I put above all others. I ran to Taehyung's cell. I quickly unlocked the door and barged in to find Tae smashing a tray to the ground. I hurried into the closet, picked him up from behind, and held him up, snatching away all the pieces of the tray he had.

"Let me go!" He screamed at me. I only held him tighter and tighter as he tried to break free. Finally, after a while, he calmed down. He was sobbing. For some reason, I couldn't control myself and I turned him around, sat him down, and removed his tears from his cheeks.

"Do not do that," I said sternly. "You cannot die." Taehyung took a deep breath and exhaled it sharply.

"I want to die!" He shouted. "I don't want to go back to the Tiger gang!" I frowned. "Why do you think that's where you're going?" I asked.

Taehyung was silent. I grasped his wrist tightly. "What the hell gives you that idea!?" I couldn't let him know he was going there. It was too early for him to figure it out- which meant he had more time to find ways to kill himself.

"Because I know how your prison works!" Taehyung yelled. "You are keeping me in a room where there is no way to die unless I starve. You won't let me do that, so obviously you need me."

I blinked. "You didn't answer my question," I growled. The hostage rolled his eyes. "I am only good for one thing, and that is because the leader of the Tiger gang has a high price on my head. What else would you use me for?"

I picked him up again and carried him out of the room. "You're coming with me," I said. Taehyung kicked and punched and tried to escape again, but I had an iron grip. "How are all the others dead?" I asked him. Taehyung sighed. "A prisoner escaped and told us all what to do. None of us wanted to be used, so we all decided to listen and kill ourselves."

I blinked. That was the worst thing that could happen. Now the only hostage we had was Taehyung, who almost killed himself, too. I set him down in front of me and held his shirt tightly. "We're going to the medical wing." I said. Taehyung was facing me, and since the hallway was so narrow, I couldn't see past him. He was the only thing in my view. I pushed him backward and we started walking through the hallway to the elevators.

"Why?" He asked. I rolled my eyes. "Remember that one guy you helped in the car on the way here?" I asked. Taehyung nodded. "Is he okay?" He asked, seemingly over what had just happened. He didn't really want to die. I thought incredulously.

"No. You are going to fix him. You have more experience with all that healing shit than the rest of us." I said. Taehyung stopped and I ran into him, my face hitting his chest. "Only if I get a different room." He said. "I will not stand the one I am in, and if I don't get to sleep somewhere else, then your friend will only die."

I glared at him. "That is not how this works," I said sternly. "You are going to fix him, whether you get a better living situation or not."

Taehyung sat down in place and I almost tripped over him. "I won't move until you comply." He said. I rolled my eyes. I slipped my hands under his arms and around to his back and picked him up. Taehyung wasn't prepared for it and yelped. "Put me down!"

I carried him to the elevators and set him down in mine, then pushed the button to go up to the medical wing. Taehyung folded his arms and pouted at the ground. I hated to admit it, but this hostage was adorable, whether I liked him or not.

The elevator opened and I brought Taehyung to Jimin's room. "You will fix him," I said. Tae shook his head and folded his arms again. "I told you. I want a better room." I heard Yoongi yelling inside the room as I rolled my eyes.

"Taehyung, please." The hostage frowned when I said that. "What?" I asked. "You've never heard me use manners? Good." The hostage shook his head. "You remember my name?"

"Yes, I do, Taehyung. I need you to fix Jimin. For me."

"I told you. Better living condition."

I rolled my eyes for the umpteenth time and sat down across from Taehyung on the floor. "You can't sleep in the dorms with the others. They will think I've gone soft and do bad things to you in turn."

"Like what?"

"I'll leave that to your imagination."

"Just let me sleep in the medical wing."

"There are too many ways you can kill yourself here."

"I won't."

"You can't promise that. I don't believe you."

"Why do you even care about my health anyway? You won't even let me hurt myself. As long as I'm alive, it's fine, isn't it? No matter how many scars I give myself."

I shook my head. He was right. I did care for his health. It mattered, for some reason. I wasn't willing to come to terms with myself for it though. There was no way I'd let myself think like... Like I felt. Still, though. He was the closest person to discovering my story than anyone before.

"The only other place you could possibly go where you can't die or hurt yourself or be killed is my room," I said. Tae didn't reply. He just looked at me hopefully. I sighed. "No, I can't- I have weapons there, too."

"You can hide them. Who says you won't always be watching me anyway?"

I groaned and glared at him. His face stayed pouting, pleading for his terms. I rolled my eyes, giving up. He was too much. "Fine." I said. Taehyung smiled triumphantly.

"I will let you stay in my room, but if any of the others find out, not only will I be less respected, but you will end up hurt, too."

Taehyung frowned at me. "You're a puzzle..." He said. I glared at him. "What's that supposed to mean?" I asked. He just sighed. "I'm trying to figure you out." He said. "You threaten to make my life worse and force me around, but you won't hurt me and you won't let me suffer. You're protecting me, but not letting anyone, even yourself, know."

I felt frustrated. All the feelings I had behind my walls were heavily guarded, and this hostage just walked past all of it like it was nothing. "Stop doing that," I said sternly. "You don't know anything about me."

"You're right I don't." The prisoner said. "That's why I said you were a puzzle. I'll put the picture together eventually."

And that was it. I was just a damn puzzle to him. He was going to solve me and use whatever he found out to his advantage. Like nothing. I was too easy. I needed to do something to hide. I needed to put up more walls. Anything to keep him out. Or maybe you should just let him in... No. I wasn't going to do that. That was the voice in my head I had been trying to shut out for a while now.

I stood up and walked away. "I like you," Taehyung said. Then, dropping his voice a little, he said, "This will be fun." I didn't turn around.

👀👀👀

Because I wanted to make a sassy Tae but also a more shy Tae, I couldn't decide and ended up with... whatever this is. He can't shut his fuckin mouth when he knows he shouldn't talk.