Chapter Seventy Four

👀

Does that emoji look like it was typed on my computer from your phones or does it look like a normal emoji?

Taehyung Focus

The highlight of my day?

Well.

The highlights of my day were seeing the bloodstains in the elevator. Seeing the ruin of the fortress. Knowing that the reason Jungkook and I didn't go back to his room was because of the lifeless body that used to be our friend.

Oh. And getting caught.

Jungkook was bringing me back inside at midnight and we made our way through the dark room filled with crumpled pillars and dusty debris. Bodies were strewn here and there. Blood was everywhere.

The elevator buttons were covered in blood entirely. I tried to imagine how most of it got there.

A person- maybe a teenager- injured severely. Limping to the elevator. Slamming a bloody hand into the buttons, hoping, praying that they'd make it in before they were caught and killed. Not surviving as something dangerous entered their skin at high speed.

I shook my head, realizing that I was staring at the buttons blankly for a long time and Jungkook was beckoning me into the open elevator. I blinked and hurried in after him.

"You okay?" He asked. I nodded. "It's crazy how much I can forget when we're alone. Especially if it's something as bad as this."

"I know what you mean," Jungkook said, pushing a button to the dorms. "A lot has happened today, and we went up to the roof and hid from it all so easily. It's kind of a sad wake-up call, just walking back in here."

I nodded and looked down. "Is anybody going to notice me?" I asked. Jungkook laced our fingers together. "If anyone manages to catch even a glimpse of you and has a negative reaction, at least they'll get to witness your beauty before I fix the problem."

I blushed. "You're so corny," I mumbled. "I-I like it."

"Aw well I have more where that came from," Jungkook said. "Because I love you so much and think about you a lot everyday."

I clung onto his arm, pulling myself closer to him as we walked down the empty hall. I thought they'd be busy with people bustling to different places seeking medical supplies or help, but the hallway was eerily silent and devoid of any trace of life.

"It's kind of creepy here," I said. Jungkook nodded grimly. "Most of the people are probably dead, dying, or mourning. The Tiger Gang attacked us, after all."

"I feel like if we turn a corner, we're gonna see a zombie or a ghost or something."

"Nah, it's not that scary here. Spirits or not, I'm here to protect you so there's no need to worry." Jungkook said in a light manner, turning me toward him and smiling brightly at me. "I'm your bodyguard."

"No, you're my cheesy boyfriend," I said, beaming at him. Jungkook leaned in and kissed the corner of my mouth. "All yours," he said. I held onto his neck and pulled him in closer for more. "All mine," I repeated. I closed the gap between us.

"What. Are. You. Doing."

Jungkook and I sprang apart and spun around wildly to see who was talking. It was a girl who looked to be fifteen- maybe sixteen. Jungkook was standing in front of me, shielding me. I peeked over his shoulder to get a closer look at the girl.

She had dark hair and big brown eyes. Her nose was small and her lips were full, making her look awkward but cute. Her expression became frazzled when she realized it was Jungkook in front of her.

"Oh my god I am so sorry!" She said hurriedly. "I didn't mean to-"

"Wait, I've seen you before," Jungkook said. The girl looked down and picked at her nails nervously. "I-I've spoken to you but-but only briefly," she stated. Jungkook nodded. She looked up and saw me peeking over Jungkook's shoulder.

"Who are you?" The girl asked. Her question was spoken bluntly, but more in a curious way than a mean or jealous way. I lowered my face and grabbed onto the back of Jungkook's shirt. "None of your business," he said. "He's not your concern."

The girl blushed and backed up a little. "S-sorry," She said. "I-I just didn't know you-you're gay." She looked up suddenly with widened eyes, flustered. "N-not that I care, I-I mean that's-thats wonderful for you I-I hope your-your happy- I'll-I'll just go no-now."

She spun on her heel and turned the other way, dropping her current objective to the back of her mind as she walked away rather quickly.

"I didn't even say much, wow," Jungkook said. "I can't be that scary."

"I thought you were."

"Just now?" Jungkook looked at me, surprised and looking a little hurt. I shook my head. "When we first met."

"Oh," he said. "Well to be honest, when we met, I thought you were gonna be a trouble boy. You were very brave in the car on our way here."

"I guess I did get ahead of myself," I admitted. "But then again, I thought maybe if I got a brand new start, I could pretend I was really brave or cocky, but that didn't work out so well when the time Jimin first brought up the tiger gang. After that, I've been too weak and skittish and I hate it."

Jungkook pecked my forehead and took my hand to lead me further down the hallway. "That's not completely true," he said. "Maybe you were- and still are- completely terrified at the slightest idea of going back to the tiger gang, but you've still been strong. I don't know exactly what EunHo did in detail, but I know he wasn't nice. My point is, you were able to suffer an entire week there waiting for me and being hopeful."

I looked down. "For nothing," I muttered. "We left you there for another week and then Hoseok almost got killed too."

"Hey," Jungkook stopped us again and took both of my hands in his. "We're here now, aren't we? We've come so far and you've been so brave. This is worth it and I promise you that. We'll find a better life soon. Very soon. And I know you're strong enough to push through it."

I looked back ahead and pulled Jungkook with me, saying nothing. Maybe he was right. We walked for a little bit longer before we reached the end of the hall where there was an empty room. Jungkook opened the door and let me in first, then looked both ways before closing the door and locking it.

He grabbed me tightly and pulled me in close for a hug. "I love you Tae," he said. "We just survived an entire ambush today."

"I love you too," I said. "And I wouldn't have made it without you."

"I'm your protector."

"My protector."

"Your protector."

Jungkook brought me over to one of the beds and sitting me down on it, getting me situated and kissing me before standing up straight and walking to the other side of the room to the other bed.

Jungkook pushed it against the bed I was on to make it seem bigger and then climbed on, kicking his shoes off and rolling over to me.

His eyes were bright and happy when he looked at me and I couldn't help but mirror his gaze. He teased his fingers under my chin and kissed me slowly. When he pulled away, he laid with his eyes closed for a moment before grabbing the blankets and covering us completely.

I huddled into his chest and let him throw his arm around my waist protectively. "Let sleep now," He said. "And forget everything about today, if only for a few hours."

"Okay," I said quietly. "I love you."

"I love you too," Jungkook said,  his hand on my hair as he pulled my face to his and kissed me one more time.

"My hostage," he murmured. 

"Your hostage."

Not much longer to the end...

[it was at this point I realized I messed up the chapter count🤦‍♀️]