Chapter 48

When Jisoo came home the next morning, she found Jennie asleep on the couch.

Her already broken heart fractured a bit more as she looked at her wife's sleeping form. Jisoo shuts the door and slowly made her towards Jennie's side.

She takes off her coat, and lays it over Jennie, before carefully taking a seat by the younger girl. She grimaced a bit as the movement slightly agitated her own injuries from the night before. Jisoo sat quietly by Jennie as she gazed at the latter's angelic sleeping face.

She raises a hand and felt the younger girl's forehead, and noticed that it was still burning hot. Getting up from her spot, she heads into the kitchen and grabbed a towel along with a bucket of warm water.

She brought it back to where Jennie slept and soaked the towel with the water.

Jisoo moves the stray strands of hair away from Jennie's face before she starts to wipe the younger girl's face. She finishes up moments later, and can't help but sit and stare at how beautiful and peaceful her wife looked while sleeping.

Jisoo leans over and gently kisses Jennie's forehead, careful not to wake up the younger. As she stares lovingly at her sleeping figure, Jisoo lifts up her hand, and slowly starts to caress the younger girl's hair.

Jisoo: I'm sorry Jendeuk-ah. I said that I would protect you... but here I am hurting you every second of the day. You deserve someone so much better than me... And yet I can't bare to thought of letting you go.

Jisoo chuckles bitterly to herself.

Jisoo: I'm probably the most selfish person ever. I want to stay with you... I want to hug you, to kiss you, to love you... I want to do everything with you in every moment for the rest of my life... But what about my poor parents... My parents who had been wrongfully killed... who will give justice to them?

Jisoo ran a hand tiredly through her hair as the few droplets of tears fell from her face.

Jisoo: How am I supposed to get revenge for my parents when I'm still in love with you Jennie Kim?

Jennie begins to stir in her sleep for a bit, but remains unconscious, and oblivious to Jisoo's words. Jisoo heaves out a resigned sigh before breaking into a sad smile. She ran a hand through Jennie's face and leaned over to give her one last kiss.

She smiles once more as she looks at the sleeping angel in front of her, before standing up. She heads towards the door and gives Jennie one last longing gaze before walking out of the house.

•••

When Jennie had woken up, it was already noon. She notices that her fever was gone, and that she was covered with someone's coat.

Not just someone's coat, but it was Jisoo's.

Thinking that the older girl was home, Jennie rushes upstairs to look for her wife.

She was met with disappointment when Jisoo was no where to be found. Making her way back downstairs, Jennie fell back onto the couch.

A single tear slipped down her face as she felt sadness creeping its way back into her heart. The loneliness she felt was growing more as the days passed by.

She heaves out a sigh before spotting the bucket of water and towel laid across the  living room table.

She picks up the towel and couldn't help but wonder if Jisoo was the one who had tended to her. After a while, she sets down the towel and brushed away the thought, thinking that it had probably been Chaeyoung or Lisa.