Chapter 53

It had been a week since Il Woo's encounter with Jisoo. The short meeting had left the thoughts inside his brain more jumbled than ever.

He glances over at the peaceful form of his sleeping wife and son.

He knew that doing the right thing would jeopardize the lives of two of the people he loved most in this world. His loving wife and young son who he had fought so hard to protect.

But at this point he knew that he couldn't hide everything any longer. He had owed the Kims too much. Jisoo had been willing to help his family even though they had been complete strangers. It was all thanks to her that Jaehyun was still alive.

She was Jaehyun's savior.

And he knew that he couldn't repay her by staying quiet. He was willing to sacrifice his life if it meant that he was doing the right thing. He no longer cared about what might happen to him and his family. He was indebted to Jisoo, and it was time that she knew the truth.

The truth about everything the night that her parents were murdered.

•••

Jisoo currently sat across from Il Woo. The CEO had only received a call from him that morning asking to meet with her.

Sensing the urgency in his voice, she agreed to meet and invited him over to her house.

Jennie was spending the day with Chaeyoung and Lisa. Despite her offering to stay with Jisoo, she had assured the younger that she would be fine on her own.

Jisoo glances up and notices how nervous Il Woo looked.

She clears her throat and urges him to speak.

Jisoo: You said you needed to tell me something. Is it related to my parents?

Il Woo nodded solemnly, feeling ashamed for all of his wrongdoings.

Il Woo: Before I start... I just want to say how deeply sorry I am towards you. I understand that after I finish, you will be angry, furious even. And I am willing to accept whatever you may choose to do with me.

Jisoo stares at the elder in confusion as she waits for him to continue.

Il Woo: I... I had wanted to tell you this a long time ago. But because I was afraid for my family's safety, I couldn't bring myself to.

Jisoo: Then what made you change your mind?

Il Woo let's out a deep sigh as he blinks back the tears that we're starting to form in his eyes.

Il Woo: I was already consumed with so much guilt before because of how much pain I had caused you and your family. There wasn't a single night where could go to bed without being haunted by nightmares. But after finding out that you were the one who had saved Jaehyun's life, I just couldn't bare to do you anymore harm.

Jisoo looks at the man before with pity. Although she didn't know what he had been lying to her about, she knew that no matter what it was, she wouldn't be able to hate him.

The man before her was only doing what he had to do in order to protect his family. He was no different from her.

Jisoo: Tell me what you wanted to tell me.

Il Woo wipes away the tears that had managed to trickle down his face as he recomposes himself.

Il Woo: It wasn't really Jennie's father that had killed your parents.

Jisoo: W-what?

Il Woo: It's true. He was also just a puppet used in Seungri's evil plans.

Jisoo took a moment in order to process everything she had just heard. She couldn't decide if whether she should believe the elder man's words. For the past few months her life had been an entire rollercoaster.