23: Zoya and Noor - Jahez

Noor had planned for a face-off; a Qayamat ki Raat.

When she had clicked Aditya's picture after lunch, Noor had decided that she would get Appi to vent out her feelings tonight; come what may. But after witnessing Appi's breakdown on the swing and her current state she didn't have the heart. Now she only wished Appi a good night of deep dreamless sleep.

Also Noor had to keep her promise to Ammi that she would not hound Zoya about Aditya or Arshad. Noor trusted Ammi. She had seen how Ammi handled Appi and Abbu over the years; especially last few days.

Abbu was prone to forcing his views on them and then hearing their protests or (counter) arguments with stoic resignation but never listening. And Appi was inclined to bottle up her feelings and never vent out. Ammi knew how to talk so Abbu will listen and how to listen so Appi will talk.

Noor had pestered Ammi to teach her the trick as well. But Ammi had no trick to share. It was all about waiting patiently for the right time when Abbu or Appi were most receptive and relaxed.

Noor in her heart knew Abbu was a good man and a doting father. He spoilt them with gifts, showered them with love and had their backs when they got into any scrapes. He was even approachable unless one went against his principled decisions. Noor tried to remember this side of Abbu every time she was in danger of sparring words with him.

Ammi had disciplined them to always respect Abbu. They were allowed to disagree but not disrespect. If they were on the verge of disrespecting Abbu in speech or behavior Ammi had asked them to clam up and/or excuse themselves.

But sometimes that could get scary. Like the time Abbu had decided to get Noor married without consulting her. She simply ran away from home to Appi. Her Abbu would never try that stunt on her again. But the worrying part was he would try some other new stunt.

She liked the way Ammi handled her. She sowed a seed of guiding thought in her head and let Noor grow it any which way she wanted. But these last few days had been testing. Even Ammi had been short of patience with her.

And Arjun had ruined her mood consistently every single day. She wondered what she had seen in that man. Was she over Arjun?

And a catalyst to all her flaring tempers in her personal life was her boss. Unfortunately she spent the better part of the day with her grumpy boss.

Appi was lost in thoughts. Noor did not have the courage to bring up any discussions about Aditya directly so she took the cellphone from Appi's hands and scrolled to a picture of Aditya with Clu and Flu. She had clicked this just as they were leaving. Appi's trance was broken and she stared at the picture. She took the cellphone from Noor.

Appi: I envy her
Noor: (shocked) APPI!

Appi: Clu has the complete freedom to be a good friend and demonstrate and claim her friendship any which ways she wants. I really really envy her.

Noor: But was she a good friend? Anyone who did not know Aditya would think him a loser; irresponsible rowdy; an uncontrolled chronic dipsomaniac beyond help; a complete lost cause alcoholic; an addict... an... an...

Noor ran out of breath and words.

Appi: Maybe in her world all this is funny.

Noor: Funny! What she did today was textbook character assassination.

Noor hated to admit it but if Arshad had not been there she would have joined forces with Clu and teased Aditya.

Appi: But I am glad she spilled the beans.

Noor was not sure if she heard Appi right.
Noor: What!
Appi: Now I know for sure what I always suspected.
Noor: What?
Appi: (sighed) Aditya did not heal. He only festered his wounds in Paris.