61: Bhai@NewOffice

Arjun had got a call from Bhai as he was driving to work early morning.

Adi: Arjun! Morning good? Where are you?

The "Arjun" had been upbeat but when Bhai skipped the "Chotte" in a private conversation something was seriously messed up.

Arjun: Morning good as can be Bhai. Driving to work. Wazzup?

Bhai: New office? Old?

Arjun: New

Bhai: See you there in five. Bye!

Arjun: Bhai?

But Bhai had cut the call. Though Bhai had sounded casual Arjun had worried. He had then raced to the new office. Bhai's car was already in the visitor's parking lot when he reached. He rushed into the glass building.

Arjun felt the buzz the minute he pushed the glass door. Bhai may have nothing to do with their law firm but he felt the air charged by Bhai's presence in the building. The office that was usually a little sleepy at this hour was bustling with activity.

Arjun smiled at the housekeeping staff desperately taking the stain off a glass counter that had been neglected for over a week now. He could hear the Admin and Logistics Head following up on the status of the leaking aircon vent causing the stain. The lady in charge of the office décor was scanning the office like never before. The false foliage and the bonsai all over the ground level were being retouched. The magazines and newspapers were being rearranged. Housekeeping staff were redoing the morning final polishing touches.

Bhai had the same effect as Dad and/or Mom did when they occasionally dropped in at the new office. And neither Dad nor Bhai were aware of the flurry of activity they left in their wake as they rushed to the top floor.

No. Dad was not unaware. He was unaffected. He had got used to the attention he commanded, maybe even expected it but Dad was... Dad was changing... He had stopped snapping at people... Displayed more patience... Was he just tired... Unwell?

Mom made her presence felt; expected and demanded attention.

Bhai may have just casually looked at or touched the stain and looked for the source. He may have just stopped and realigned a bonsai, magazine or newspaper. The staff was just ensuring he didn't get a chance to do anything on his way out. But Bhai was sure to take to task the logistics head about the leaking aircon once his immediate concern(s) rested in peace.

The eye for décor, subtle details and alignments Bhai got from Mom. The bigger things like snapping clear-n-crisp orders and prioritizing tasks Bhai got from Dad. Arjun did not snap or command and was décor-blind.

Bhai had once confided that Arjun was adopted. Bhai had said they had found Arjun in a dustbin. Bhai had then proceeded to laugh so badly looking at little Arjun's distressed face that Arjun had emptied the ice bucket at the bar down Bhai's back. Arjun had not done that in anger. Little Arjun had been afraid that Bhai would choke to death if he kept laughing and had simply wanted him to stop. But Bhai had loved the novel feeling of ice down his back and had emptied the ice-tray in the freezer down Arjun's back with the noble motive of sharing the amazing experience.

Far from being rewarded for their selfless noble discoveries, both had been punished for the resulting mess and damage to what Bhai declared "Thank God that carpet is old-na Ma. Now you can change it" and Mom declared "heirloom". They were both locked in the guestroom with only their school books.

Since the guestroom had been the official venue of previous 2 Hooda house arrests Bhai had smuggled enough comics, snacks, board games and such means of entertainment in the high reaches of this room and after that regularly refreshed the stocks in between punishments. Bhai was incorrigibly the best elder brother any younger brother could have asked for.

Arjun checked his calendar on his iPad. It was a full day. Not really. Dad was such an amazing genius that the firm literally ran itself. Arjun or Dad did not really need to look into the cases on a daily basis. Dad had hired competent top tier lawyers, set guidelines and regularly reviewed daily operations. Hooda and Son attended work to be gainfully occupied, make certain powerful clients feel special with their personal attention and ensure that the firm did lose touch with their founder family.

The cutest reaction on the lower floor was from the new receptionist giving a needless nudge and tweak to the objects already in their correct spots both on her desk and on her person. Bhai must have requested the girl to unlock the top floor.

After 2 unsuccessful attempts at clearing her throat the poor girl finally found her voice.

Receptionist: Good Morning Arjun Sir. Aditya Sir is waiting for you in your cabin. Your first meeting starts in 45 minutes. Mr _________ will be waiting for you in conference room ______. Do I need to delay or reschedule it sir?

Arjun: I will let you know in 10 minutes.

By the time the lift door opened on the top most all glass floor, the office would be abuzz with the junior Hoodas unscheduled meeting. It had not occurred to either brother the fodder they were feeding the office rumour mills. Someone may have already informed Dad. Arjun made a mental note to meet Bhai outside next time; provided Bhai gave him the chance to set a venue.

Bhai had been agitated. He was twirling all 4 paperweights one after other trying to keep them all rotating at the same time. Arjun had worried. Why all this nervous energy? What was the emergency?

Bhai had tapped each rotating sphere to a stop and spun his chair as he heard Arjun approach his cabin.

Arjun had also been nervous and agitated; seeing Bhai in his cabin...

All the unspoken appeals had rushed to his mind; entreaties he had not dared to make since the day Bhai had been grounded from pilot duties over 6 months ago. A dear wish, a dream that all 3 Hooda men would work under the same roof and sit in adjoining cabins with Pa in the middle cabin. Bhai would sit in the corner cabin that everyone involved including Mom and Pooja Bhabi had specially designed for him many years ago; which he still reserved for Bhai with his Dad's tacit sanction. On the new office inauguration day Bhai had...

Even before Arjun settled in his chair Noor's story had been narrated in a single line and a call for action demanded.

(A big thank you for the love concern and faith you showed with votes and comments yesterday - yours truly MissWW)