74: Uski Marzi

Adi: This song you may not have heard but...

Noor: Yuva. A R Rahman. Alka Yagnik. Adnan Sami.

Hardly 10 seconds of the opening notes had played.

Adi: (put his free hand on his heart)
Kamzarf (with a momentary glance at Zoya) ki gustaqi mauf ho please. 
(looking at Noor)I did not know you are a chaltaa-firtaa encyclopedia on songs...

Noor beamed at the compliment.

Adi: (singing along)
Aye Aye Aye...
Socho Zara...
Aye Aye Aye...
Mere Yaara...

Adi drummed his fingers sometimes on the wheel, sometimes on the flat surface on top of the dashboard while not steering. His control on the SUV was instinctive. His mood was infectious. Noor couldn't help singing clapping and dancing along.

Noor:
Badal Wo Aaye, Aaey
Garmi Badhai, Haye
Pani Bhi Lae, Laye
Uski Marzi

Zoya had forgotten what a sweet voice Noor had. Noor put zero efforts to keep her voice trained unlike Zoya but Noor was infinitely more melodious and naturally talented. Zoya smiled at Noor.

Sneaking a look at Zoya's smile made Adi smile some more.

Adi:
Rasta Jo Aaye, Aaey
Wahi Phir Jae, Jaye
Kahin Mud Jae, Jaye
Uski Marzi

Aditya sang along imitating the singer's style. What he lacked in talent he made up in enthusiasm and losing himself to the flow of the song.

(both, repeat)
Suno Suno
Ye Fasana
Socho Zara
Mere Yaara

Zoya looked at Ammi. Ammi smiled as the infectious mood in the front seats caught her as well. Zoya smiled some more.

Aditya was so happy to see that smile after ages. He found it tough to keep his eyes on the road ahead.

Noor played an imaginary air guitar while Aditya kept a live beat completely in sync with the song.

And Aditya demanded Ammi join him and Noor in their Uski Marzi chorus by holding an imaginary microphone to Ammi with his eyes on the road steering with only one hand.

Ammi Noor Adi (chorus):
Uski Marzi...
Uski Marzi...
Uski Marzi...
Uski Marzi...

Aditya did not know the rest of the song so he hummed while Noor continued.

Noor:
Pathar Pooje Bhi
Jaayen
In Rahon Mein Bhi
Wo Mil Jaayen

Ye Dhaga Hai
Nazuk Nazuk
Bandhan Mein Bhi To
Bhandha Jayen

Khayalon
Se Duniya Chale
Isharey
Samajh Le Ye Zaraa

Aaa Maney
Wo Dil Ki Hain Jo
Kare Phir
Koi Tera Mera
Yahan Kya

(both, repeat)
Suno Suno
Ye Fasana
Socho Zara
Mere Yaara

Noor:
Badal Wo Aaye, Aaey
Garmi Badhai, Haye
Pani Bhi Lae,Laye

Ammi:
Uski Marzi

Adi:
Rasta Jo Aaye, Aaey
Wahi Phir Jae, Jaye
Kahin Mud Jae, Jaye

Ammi:
Uski Marzi

Noor alternately played an imaginary air tambourine between her imaginary air guitars while Aditya was the bongo player. Her dance moves were like a Persian dancer with a tambourine. Noor and Adi could dance even seated with just their head and shoulders and hands playing imaginary instruments.

Noor:
Saagar Mein
Doobe Nadi
Juda Hai Naam
Rang Wahi

Phoolon Se
Aye Mehek
Kabse Unme Hai
Pataa Nahin

Zameen Pe
Thahar Jatein Hain
Kisee Ke
Kadmon Ke Bhi Nishan

Nishan Wo
Kabhi Bhi Nahin Mitey
Pade Jo
Unppe Saaya Bhi Kisi Ka

Adi:
Aye Aye Aye...
Socho Zara...
Aye Aye Aye...
Mere Yaara...

Noor:
Badal Wo Aaye, Aaey
Garmi Badhai, Haye
Pani Bhi Lae,Laye

Ammi:
Uski Marzi

Adi:
Rasta Jo Aaye, Aaey
Wahi Phir Jae, Jaye
Kahin Mud Jae, Jaye

Ammi:
Uski Marzi

(both, repeat)
Suno Suno
Ye Fasana
Socho Zara
Mere Yaara

The song was on loop and they all picked their cues better the second time.

Zoya marveled at how different this ride was. How energetic! Happy! Carefree! The best ride she ever had. Noor and Adi were a crazy team. Zoya had never seen her Ammi so at ease outside the family circle. She crossed her fingers for Noor; she would fit in so well with the Hoodas.

But Abbu! Abbu would have called this reckless driving.

Noor: (suddenly) How come you have this song? Not your type at all.

Adi: (offended, dismissive tone) I do not have any types... But yaa... This is not me... Meraa paagal bhai... downloaded the song on my phone... by mistake or on purpose... no clue. This is not me... It is Arjun! (shrugged his shoulders)

Noor suddenly stopped liking the song and stopped dancing and singing along.

Adi wondered how bad this fight was and who had done what. He decided that since it involved Noor... getting his head around the why... would only end in a migraine combined with vertigo; best to focus on just getting Arjun back in her good books.

Roshnaq looked fondly at Aditya. She simply adored him. He was a messed up boy but he also noticed and understood the unstated and did stuff without letting on. He must have known how awkward his playlist was for Zoya but he had remembered that one neutral song that would meet Noor's demand for music but not make Zoya feel awkward either.

They reached the grand entrance of the Golf Course before the song ended. Zoya wished the ride had never ended. They had never reached. They could have driven on forever.

Aditya drove past the club house to the hotel; both places so grand (at least on the outside) that Noor was dumbstruck. Poor Sanju! Competition was tough!

The other 4 guys were waiting for them. There weren't many cars in the parking lot which too was beautiful with all the hedges and palm trees. (Looked like) Space was no issue in these parts; unless the hotel had simply encroached on surrounding property and had annexed illegally.

Adi was the first out and helped Ammi climb down. As he steadied her and ensured she was good, she pressed her palm on Aditya's arm. He looked up and seeing the sad look she gave him, tried to smile her worries away.

Ammi: (to herself) Dua karti hun... beta aap hamesha hamesha... khush rahein... gaate rahein... muskurate rahein... Aapki har arzoo puri ho... aap khush rahein... bus... khush rahein...

Ammi: (barely able to say it) Thank you beta

She hoped she had conveyed her grateful thanks for many things; mainly sincere efforts to stop contacting Zoya besides trying his best to make their encounters less awkward.

Adi: (concerned) Amm... Aaap thik hain?

Ammi: Haan(barely audible) Thank you