24: Zoya and Noor - Face Off

Zoya sat up and switched on the bedside lamp. She took a deep breath.

Appi: Noor, could you be a little more polite to the Habibs and in particular to Arshad. He is a gem of a person. And please STOP! Do not ever make faces EVER again. He is your Jiju! It is unfortunate that you compare him with Aditya.

Noor was fuming now. Then Zoya had sudden inspiration. She would be the devil's advocate; anti-Hooda. She hoped Noor did not see through her ploy.

Appi: (continued) Actually Noor let me prove to you why Arshad is better.

Noor who had just turned her back on Appi sat up and faced her.

Noor: (eagerly) Bring it on!

Appi: Ameena Aunty vs Anjana Aunty?

Noor: (taken aback) Oh! Like that!

Appi: Ameena Aunty vs Anjana Aunty?

Noor: (sadly) Ameena Aunty

Appi: Manipulative Hooda Uncle vs simple straightforward Sohail Uncle?

Noor: Appi. This is not fair...

Appi: How fair is Hooda uncle? He is friendly with us but not in public. But suddenly today morning he was all praise for me. Not so much for you or Arjun. Our contribution was equal. Why?

Noor was shocked simple Appi had noticed.

Appi: (continued) We are mere acquaintances. It is okay if he manipulates us. But he also manipulates Aditya and Arjun. Between his own firstborn and his public image... he has always chosen his public image. I agree he has had a change of heart but what he decides is contextual.

Then suddenly Zoya remembered.

Appi: Hooda Uncle once bailed Aditya but left me in the prison overnight. Arjun bailed me out that morning. Remember the day you arrived in Mumbai? That same morning... That is the big hearted Hooda Uncle for you in a nutshell.

Noor looked at Appi and wondered when her Appi had gotten so astute.

Appi: So Noor. Hooda Uncle vs Sohail Uncle?

Noor: Still with Hooda Uncle

Appi: What! Why?

Noor: Hooda Uncle did not know us before. Now Uncle is fond of us. He cares for you and me now. I feel sure he will not let us down. Sohail Uncle won't stand for you

Appi: (thinking of something anything to defend Sohail Uncle) Sohail Uncle asked Abbu not to pressurize me into taking a decision. Remember?

Noor: I doubt he will ever defend you even over a cup of tea well made. Hooda Uncle will never let you down.

Appi: I am not so sure about him. For him first priority is...

Noor: I know. His reputation first. Then his mad hater wife Anjana Aunty and then problem child Aditya. To him obedient Arjun is an afterthought. He takes Arjun for granted.

Zoya was happy. Finally she was able to make Noor think this through.

Noor: I am still with Hooda Uncle.

Appi: Okay. Fair enough. Now...

Before Zoya thought of some way to talk some more about Arjun, Noor interrupted her.

Noor: Arshad vs Aditya it is Aditya all the way. So...

Appi: Wait Noor not so fast. (Zoya had to think fast. She wanted to discuss Arjun and not Aditya. Oh yes!!!) Aditya is an incorrigible liar unlike his bro...