81: High on Tea

Zoya was desperately trying to catch Ameena Aunty's attention.

But Arshad or Sohail Uncle constantly interrupted her attempts. Zoya wanted to be done with the small speech she had prepared declaring her commitment to Arshad.

Sohail Uncle was an avid bird-watcher.
{
Later when Zoya shared this shocking discovery with Noor.
Noor: I am not surprised.
Zoya: Why?
Noor: Any hobby that involves inaction for long durations of time suits him.

Looking at her Appi's confusion...
Noor: For him Bird Watching = Staying put in a Machaan + Binoculars/DSLR + Thermos of some cool drink + Many happy hours of doing nothing
}

Sohail Uncle managed without Binoculars/DSLR. He had an outdated point-n-shoot camera hanging round his neck. He constantly demanded Ameena Aunty's attention to the pictures he was previewing on the tiny 3-inch display screen. Zoya found that cute.

It was his enthusiasm that had pulled the Habibs and Waseem away on the long walk. He had spotted a rare bird and yet another and another...

Arshad had wanted the car keys to keep the *THANX* tray in the car and had ended up spending the morning watching the wrong birds.

Zoya wondered what Noor was upto. She was winding in and out of small groups sometimes with Clu or Flu or Sanju or by herself. Was she just avoiding the Habibs?

A few moments later Noor yanked Zoya to the verandah.

Noor: (breathless) I could have wished for anything and got it...

Zoya: What are you talking about?

Noor: The Militia are here (and Noor clasped her hands under her chin all excited)

Zoya: Militia? From P&P?

Noor's head went up and down as if mounted on a spring..

Zoya: Noor...

Noor: Really! Lots and lotsa guys from the army. And I found my handsome Wickham.... (She pirrouted on the spot)

Zoya: (caught her and made her stop turning) Noor...

Noor: His name is Vikram (wiggled her eyebrows) Wickham... Vikram...

Zoya: Noor...

Noor: He is Vikram Chowdhari. He is as handsome as... from ... remember...

Zoya remembered. Few years ago. Another villain. Another story. A TV series. Noor had thrown away her tablet inconsolable and dived into Zoya's lap sobbing at the unfairness of the universe.

Noor: (between sobs) The most... handsome... actor... ever... is playing... a character... who is... a sadist... tortures and kills his own father... step mother... baby brother... anyone... amuses himself by cutting fingers...

Zoya had then requested Noor to spare her the gory horrific details and cry quietly.

Zoya now wondered if this handsome Wickham aka Vikram was also a villain of sorts. Zoya let Noor rant on and when she finished asked her to point out her *answer-to-all-prayers* in the crowd behind the glass wall.

Vikram was indeed exceedingly handsome and seemed to be a pleasant popular guy with an easy laugh. Zoya stopped worrying and let Noor ooh-n-aah over her discovery.

Noor: I have made some indiscreet enquiries about Clu's Rizzi as well. The whole clan is a RRR. They are some sort of Czars of the upcoming eHotel industry. Unless Clu meant stars. E for electronic and eco-friendly. I forget if eco is for ecology or economy. Rishi's elder brother is Raghavendra known to friends as Raghav, Raghu or even Ragz. I like Ragz. Family's chief astrologer has declared that he is destined to eventually rule this empire or renounce it. Everyone's bet is on the latter. Because of his past record. Trail blazer in 5 careers in 10 years. Each... one day he just ups and quits no reason no warning. Some defend him; say he gets disillusioned/bored super fast. But many feel ill at ease in his presence. They sense his dark side. To others, he is everyone's big brother here; loved respected and feared big-bro. He is/was in the army/airforce hence so many guys from my dream Militia are here today. Their eldest cousin Rannveer heads the realm; note the double-N and double-E. Rann means war battle. Now you get all the RannVeers and RannVijays; loaded names. The patriarchs and matriarchs crowned seniormost RRR as emperor of their empire and have all retired to a life of merry-making.