80: Anjana can Swing

When Harsh and Shyaam reached the bar the scene had changed.

Adi and Clu had been usurped by 2 amateur cocktail jugglers who were performing to an enthusiastic crowd collectively cheering for more daring acts. The helplessly hapless regular bartenders seemed to be on tenterhooks sure of certain disaster any moment.

Suddenly the overhead speakers cackled.

Technician: Hello. Hello. Mike testing. 1 2 3. Sorry people! Just testing the equipment for the evening events. If all okay it will take less than 10 minutes. Thank you people.

And the opening jazz of *Girls like to Swing* from *Dil Dhadakne Do* spilled out of the amazing sound system; full on bass.

Adi slid down from his bar stool, grabbed Arjun's shoulders and shook him.

Adi: (raised finger pointing up on a raised hand) Remember!

Arjun looked lost. Adi ran across the floor to Anjana and pulled her out of the chair to the free floor space in front of the bar and started twirling and spinning her in sync with the music.

Anjana and Harsh both protested but there was no stopping Adi.

Anjana: Adiiiiiiiii!.... Cheeeeeekuuuuuuu! Naaaaahin! .... CheeeeekUUU! Stop!.... Naaahin! ...... HARSHHHhhhhh! Rokooooo isssseeeee!

But Adi just wouldn't stop. Finally Anjana gave in and...

Anjana was amazing and all energy all grace; despite her saree she was dancing keeping pace with the fast number. She was now dancing on her own free will. Adi knew all his cues and followed her steps behind her and gave her the required twirl or hand here and there all the time throwing teasing looks at Harsh like I-have-your-girl.

Harsh didn't take the bait but Noor bit hook line and sinker.

Noor unseated her disinterested Hooda Uncle into action who was stunned both by her pluck and sudden attack. Noor pulled the reluctant man to the now new expanded impromptu dance-floor which some resourceful guys had enthusiastically designed by pushing back tables and chairs while their small group stood back with their backs to the bar. Noor sat down on one of the pushed chairs right in the front and began recording.

Harsh surprised everyone by not exactly dancing but just swaying (for lack of any other word for his dance form style) along with his Dancing Queen. He did little but correctly propped and balanced Anjana's more enthusiastic moves as she swung and twirled around him. At times he could mimic her simple steps and do some foot tapping of his own. They looked a swinging couple.

Flu turned and first saw Noor, then few chairs away Roshnaq Aunty and last Zoya standing behind her mom's chair. All 3 had a completely different level of joy for the familial revelry on display. They felt for the Hoodas; they cared for them. Their love and affection for the family was obvious though restrained.

Flu moved away from the noisy crowd and stood by Zoya and her mom. She slipped her palm into Zoya's hand, held Zoya's upper arm with her other hand and rested her head against Zoya's arm. Flu shut her eyes and drowned in the vibes of pure affection and love emanating from the ladies.

For a moment Zoya felt everything go surreal; the music muted to a far off muffled noise and shout from another time; time slowed down; all other faces blurred except for the Hoodas. Harsh and Anjana shed their weary years as they danced. Behind them Adi looked like a small child with eyes only for his Ma and Pa. On his side Arjun looked both baby-like and Zen-like as he looked from Bhai to his Mom and Dad and back; a smile on his face that could only be experienced not described. She felt drawn to all of them. Then just as suddenly the noise and cacophony returned.