60: She loves him... not...

Arjun was the only one awake.

The other 3 were fast asleep after what must have been a long day for each of them. He was on a long dark stretch of road. But the SUV had amazing headlights designed for worse; wilderness with absolutely no lights. But he could not drive as fast as he wished with the limited vision ahead and unfamiliar terrain.

Getting back on NH___ was a relief. He gently floored the accelerator shifted to auto-cruise-control and relaxed. The road ahead was long; mostly straight; alternately bright and dim, bright and dim, bright and...

She loves him.
She loves him not.
She loves him.
She loves him not.
She loves...

Arjun had been toggling on the yes and no endlessly the past few days. He had thought of little else these past few days.

Did Zoya love Bhai or not?
He simply could not decide till...
What had he witnessed outside that motel...
Was he reading that right...

His eyes were drawn to the rearview mirror to a rare sight...
What a beautiful picture they painted...
The sleeping Siddiqui sisters...
Both smiling...

If only on his left he had Bhai...
Then...

He smiled...
Then...

This trip would not be the same...
No one would sleep a wink...
There would have been a riot of noise, singing and leg pulling...

And Bhai would never sleep; however tired; leaving Arjun alone awake at the wheel...

A song played in his mind...
Sweet dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree? I travel the...

And just like the mixed feelings in that song, the serenity in that picture in his rearview mirror had lasted a fleeting moment only...
Zoya's smile vanished and...

Zoya seemed to be fighting some losing battle.

Her entire bearing... being... pleaded release relief redemption but her eyelids refused to be forced shut. They rebelled and snapped open in flashes; leaving startled eyes staring unseeing at the dark zipping landscape; troubled tired eyes traitors revealing the struggle of several sleepless nights.

Zoya's cheek subconsciously caressed the top of Noor's head. Was that a tear that had just glistened for a moment on Noor's hair... Zoya's right palm rested flat against the window as if pleading time to stop racing ahead to her inevitable undoing... her wedding to this moron... this moron sleeping on his left.

Arjun had been walking around the motel where they had stopped for a super-short break with his cellphone 6 inches away from his ear. Mom was blasting away on the other side; going crazy worrying. He had been completely absorbed in desperately trying to assure Mom all was well and trying to talk her out of her ridiculous worries but he had not missed how Noor had reacted to Zoya's ice-cream debacle.

Noor maybe Noorish for lack of any better word to describe her... but a secret sweet soft caring protective Noor was often unleashed; especially when Zoya was in the dumps.