51: Post Paris Days

Few minutes later the SUV was zipping through the alternately dark and bright NH___ while Zoya zipped past her few happy fleeting memories with Aditya.

After the treat, Aditya had taken a detour through deserted unfrequented badly lit roads all the time throwing her sly surreptitious dark looks. Her curiosity was piqued but she was least affected if the intent was to scare her. He stopped at a large remote isolated ground where there was absolutely no one.

 He stopped at a large remote isolated ground where there was absolutely no one

Aditya: Paris jaake mein sirf kanjoos hi nahin kuch aur bhi ban gayaa hun... This is the part where I cut you to pieces and kill you.

Zoya:
(clapped her hands in glee; made a face of great excitement) Wow! You are going to kill me... After you cut me to pieces! This I have to see haan.
(sternly) Bas! Ho gaya aapka!
(all scared) Aditya hum bahut jyada darr gaye hain!
(sternly) Ab chalen ghar!

Aditya: (amused but continuing his act) Nahin! How now? Now the scary part is about to begin.

He took the car keys, got out the car, walked to her side and opened her door.

Aditya: (in ruffian voice) Chalo niklo baahar!

Aditya: (After she stepped out) I am going to take your driving test. Prepared? Ready? Scared?

Aditya opened her palm, dropped the keys into her palm and marched her to the driver's door.

He first asked her to do simple stuff which she did with a little unnecessary filmy showoff like stopping abruptly with a screeching halt. And all such silly things she had always wanted to do but had not. Then he kept increasing the difficulty levels.

Zoya's driving school instructor was very good and maha-patient. She had been trained to change gears without looking at them but after driving for some minutes she had this tendency to sneak a side look at the gears. It was an odd habit. The driving-instructor had laughed at her asking if she was afraid that the gearbox may just pack in panic and take off.

When Zoya sneaked her habitual side glance she noticed Aditya's right hand; his 2 rings winking at her trying to catch her eye.

Aditya was all tensed; palm straightened; slightly raised; the veins standing out; his right leg aligned towards her side of the car; also tense; on the ready to take over if something went wrong. When they were not doing anything remotely risky the hand would rest easy on his thigh; the foot went slack.

Then some mischief got into her. She upped the risks she was taking, just a bit, of course not risking their lives, every now and then, just to see the hand go tense and then relax. Such fun.

Once she almost panicked and his hand did rise higher, almost reached the steering, but he gave her the benefit till the last minute when she got back control and stopped the car.

They were left gasping for breath but laughed off the tense moment. Then he snapped open his seat belt, turned to her, grabbed her hand and placed it on his heart.