42: The Kapurs

The Kapurs were all set to open their doors to the first guests at Sanju's Adda. They were waiting in the lawn sipping tea and sampling the snacks spread; unusually quiet; each lost in their own thoughts.

The first people to arrive were the Habib and Siddiqui seniors. They spotted the vehicle round a bend before it disappeared behind a large mound in the rolling landscape.

Their private cottage was on the highest widest flat land on their property giving a fantastic view on all sides including the large golf course, the biggest attraction in these parts which unfortunately belonged to someone else. Thankfully the Rathores made good neighbours and they were in a no-conflict business understanding given that neither could afford to buy the other out.

The Kapurs private cottage was at an ideal distance from the actual resort; near enough when exigencies demanded their attention; slightly off-limits so resort-guests could not invade their privacy. The resort consisted of 9 cottages of varying sizes. The number and size of the cottages had been decided by the availability of flat land. Sanju wanted minimum alteration of the natural landscape and Shyaam had conceded. He always indulged her every whim and fancy. His builders had cleverly designed the 9 cottages as per Sanju's wishes. It would be amongst the country's top models for sustainability engineering in the hotel industry if Sanju could pull this off.

But their private cottage was all that Sayi wished. So she got a huge state-of-the-art kitchen and washrooms, basement-mini-theatre with recliners, funky light fixtures, and even a false fireplace in the main living room. There were 2 massive master bedrooms opening onto a large half-roofed common terrace on the first level. There were 2 tiny guestrooms and one huge unfurnished dorm-styled room for Sanju's friends to stay over on the second level. The cottage was built for weekend partying.

Shyaam loved pampering the two women in his life especially Sanju because she would soon move out and have a family of her own. He had seen daughters of other families unable to spare any time for their parents after marriage. He was going to miss Sanju.

But he was unsure about Aditya, despised Harsh and hated Anjana. He was very unhappy that Sanju would be Aditya's second wife. He had met Aditya at Bella&Rohan's sangeet. Aditya had been an absolute delight and Rohan had only good things to say about Aditya. But...

Aditya's wife had passed away a few months ago. The circumstances of her death would have been a sensational scandal had Harsh not silenced the reporters and squashed all rumours with tacit threats of defamation suits for libel and slander. But Aditya stoked the rumour mills with his drunken brawls at pubs and parties. Worse there were rumours rife that Aditya had killed his cheating wife but Harsh had hoodwinked the police and court into believing otherwise.

There were rumours that Harsh himself had been in and out of several affairs. Then there were rumours that Anjana threw weird tantrums in her home which may have driven Harsh to satisfy his needs outside his home. Then there were rumours that Anjana threw temper tantrums because Harsh cheated on her. Either ways the lady threw tantrums which his dear Sanju may have to live with for life.

Sayi could not have found a more controversial alliance for dear Sanju. What Sayi saw in the family was beyond him. And yesterday morning Anjana had called and said there was a misunderstanding. She had been speaking for Arjun all the while and not Aditya.

He had actually thought that made more sense; their ages suited better. Arjun had a spotless reputation except that he was a Hooda. But Sayi had been disappointed. She said elder son is elder son. Whatever that meant! Sanju was unaffected which was telling.

Then few hours later Anjana had called and said choice is upto Sanjana. If Sanjana had set her heart on Aditya she could marry Aditya; else Arjun; Sanjana's wish. The woman was mad and only a mad man would give his daughter away to such a family.

Shyaam had to put a stop to all these thoughts as the vehicle reappeared on the approach road. But instead new misgivings assailed him. There had been all sorts of controversies about Aditya and Zoya.

Curse Sayi! He would entertain the Hoodas and friends but marriage into that family was definitely a diplomatic no. Sanju deserved the best in life. Not any hand-me-down complications!

He plastered a smile on his face and mentally braced himself for the weekend drama. Thankfully he loved entertaining people at his home whether he liked them or not. It was a mark of how far he had come up in life. His was a rags to riches story. Of course! With God's grace on him!

Sayantani was super excited. If Sanju married either of the Hooda boys then it would be Sanju's entry into upper echelons of society. And that was all that mattered to the calculating lady! She had deliberately delayed informing Shyaam until breakfast the day before not giving him any lead time to ruin her scheming. Aditya Hooda was quite a catch and catches made matches.

Sanju prayed that Aditya and Arjun had an escape plan. She had her own dreams and aspirations. She did not want to marry ever. She had an amazing global career just waiting for her. She was blessed with a doting father who was not only willing to back her financially but also guide her with his business acumen. But she knew how both women were monster mothers and wily wives and could talk the rest of them into doing their bidding. She was extremely nervous.

Clu was their last hope. If only Clu "stuck" to Aditya like yesterday... But Sanju did not want any misunderstandings between Aditya and Zoya...

What a mess!

Sanju remembered the note she had picked from Flu's fortune-bowl. She immediately calmed down, inhaled, exhaled, smiled and drew courage from it.

You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?