49: Zoya-Arshad's calls

PC: watermark

Zoya thought back to their ice-cream night-out.

It seemed to have happened eons ago; in another birth

It seemed to have happened eons ago; in another birth. How had their happy world got so messed up in a few days? She shut her eyes tight and inhaled deeply; reminding herself; her resolve; no not one more tear.

Zoya had had a terrible day.

A prestigious client had called with a complaint of an event she could not even remember accepting. A disgruntled employee had jumped the reporting hierarchy and escalated grievances directly to her. She had been unable to relate to either matter. She had dumped both matters into Mona's capable fire-fighting hands. She was preoccupied. Another anxiety totally consumed her brain power.

Zoya had resolved to invest time on her "wouldbe". But all her attempts to know Arshad better met a wall. A wall of Aditya's memories!

Remembering her past failed attempts, a desperate and determined Zoya had finally chalked out a schedule and an elaborate follow-up chart and log sheet to call Arshad at least 5 times per day.

The first time she had dialed she had lost nerve and cut the call before it went through.

Zoya had dialed again. The call had gone through but the snow globe on the desk had distracted her. By the time she had come to and asked for Noor the receptionist at Medicare Hospital had disconnected.

Zoya had immediately redialed, had remained alert and again asked for Noor. The receptionist had cut the call saying there was no such staff or patient.

Zoya had put down the handset and picked the globe

Zoya had put down the handset and picked the globe. She envied the boy and the girl, their smiles, their camaraderie; their freedom to be what they wanted to be.

Zoya determined to make the call put the snow globe down. She dialed again and walked away from the distractions on her desk towards the couch. Mistake.

Zoya saw another Zoya plating noodles and trying to pass it to Aditya. Aditya ignored the plate, picked the whole bowl and plunged a fork in the bowl.