Are You Saying...

After snippets of memories being turned into full memories and pushing people's names and images into her head, they took a break. It took at least two hours of being alone upstairs, running through memories and the whole time, Jocelyn with her ear pushed to the door trying to hear what was going on inside, and Luke trying to coax her away.

"Jocelyn, I know Clary and Jace are smart enough to put a soundless rune on that door so no one can hear them. And if anyone put it there it was Clary."

Jocelyn sighed, "But I am waiting for it to wear off. It can't last forever."

"Knowing our daughter, yes, it can." Luke smiled at her.

Jocelyn pulled away from the door and looked at him with bright eyes. "You just called her our daughter. I have never heard you say that before."

Luke smiled, "I guess I did. But it is true. I have been the only fatherly figure she has ever had, in her life. I know she may have Robert to turn to now too, but it doesn't mean I have thought about her being my daughter any less. I have always thought of her like that. She has always been like a daughter to me. Ever since I taught her that Shadowhunter card game on the couch, the second day I had met her. It has always been that way. All of the awards, birthdays, school plays, graduations; whatever they were for, and even the drawing she loved more than the last, she would show me and I would always say they belong in an art museum. It has always been like that. And I will be there when she gets married, has kids, when she moves into her own home with Jace, and I will be there for every birthday in between every event. Whenever she needs me I will be there, day or night, if she needs me I will drop what I am doing and go. And I hope she knows that."

Jocelyn looked at him with shining eyes. She reached her arms out and hugged him close to her. "I cannot wait until we can get married. I know that the ceremony isn't important, but I want it to be real. I am so grateful and lucky to have you here with me and Clary."

"What are you doing?"

Jocelyn turned to look at the door to see Clary standing in the doorway with Jace behind her, his arms clasped around her waist. Behind them stood Tessa and Jem, hand in hand.

Clary wore a frustrated and irritated expression on her face, as if the sight of her mother did that to her. Although it could also be the fact that she already knew what she was doing out there, but just wanted to hear her say it.

"Umm..." Jocelyn began. "Well, I wanted to be here when you came out. I also want an explanation from earlier about Jace's back." Jocelyn straightened her back and made her eyes focus on her daughter.

"We told you, he fell on some rocks, and that is that." Clary said and grabbed Jace's hand, pulling them away.

"I don't believe that," Jocelyn whispered to Jace as he was pulled away gratefully. He took a breath and kept walking away proudly that Clary would stick to the story, no matter how stupid and unreasonable it was.

Clary was pulling Jace down the hallway in search of Isabelle, Magnus, Alec and the others she couldn't quite remember clearly. As they walked down the hallway hand in hand, she felt Jace's hand tighten around hers.

"What's wrong?"

"It's just that your mom may have said yes to me proposing, but she still hates me. I would if I were her too, I mean you are her only daughter. I would hate any boy who went near you too. I do hate every boy that looks at you, thinks about you, or even a guy who gets within twenty feet of you. But my reasons are different than hers. I think you should just try to be nicer right now to her, because you have to look at things from her perspective." Jace spoke quietly, slightly scared of her yelling and getting angry at him. But, he would never say that out loud.